Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

´98 A4 audio confusion - wiring and more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Default ´98 A4 audio confusion - wiring and more.

Hi. Just got my '98 A4 Quattro Avant, and need some input from guys who knows how this thing is wired and put together.

I put in a new headunit. It came with a clarion head which was useless and kept overheating every hour or so. I don't think the install is a bose system - can't find the bose logo on any grilles anywhere. I replaced the head with a Pioneer DEH65BT, nice little thing with a bluetooth handsfree built-in which is useful (and works surprisingly well).

What I want to do is to is to get level control over the stock sub in the trunk - as far as I can tell the sub is just fed by a split off the front signal, which gives me no separate level control. The headunit comes with a highpass filter for front/rears and RCA preouts for subwoofers with a corresponding LPF filter, which hopefully will ease things up for the small front/rears. Can you enlighten me on the following:

1) Is the stock sub on a separate amp or just fed off the front amps ? (If possible I would like to use the stock amp to save trunk space and money).
2) What size is the stock sub? (I haven't taken the car apart yet, remember this is an avant btw). Can I replace it easily?
3) Are the inputs of the stock sub amp line or speaker level?
4) Is the stock amp just for the sub, or does it feed all speakers? (One, four or five-channel?)
5) If I need to replace the stock (sub) amp in the trunk, can I take power off that for an aftermarket amp or will I have to route new wires?
6) My rear speakers are blown. What size are they? (One set of fullrange speakers in the doors, no split with tweeters mounted in trim).
7) I saw some pictures from an avant drivers side trunk panel taken off - exactly where are the screws and how careful do I have to be taking it off?
8) Anyone tried mounting an aftermarket sub in the "golfbag" compartment on the drivers side? (Considering an 8" or 10" woofer there as an alternative to the stock one.)
9) The wiring behind the head unit is a little weird - there are two standard 8-pin DIN's, and then another multipin which seems proprietary (says audi on it, too). What's it for? I think either negatives or positives to all speakers are routed to this, and it also has some connections which are unmade. Three pins have wires but no connection, it's the second "block" from the right.... strange. The stereo plays, all speakers, so I'm a little confused about this weird little multipin thing.

Thanks in advance, any input is greatly appreciated.

Best regards from Norway.