Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Deleted]

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 09-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 09-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Site Moderator
Default Need advice on wheel size! ASAP!

<ul>[*]What kind of advice is this? Frankly, I thought people on this forum had more technical knowledge.[/list]
Frankly - It doesn't matter what you think. YOU are on this forum - do YOU have more knowledge than anyone else? For a person with sa total of 2 posts on this forum - and has obviously not contributed anything yet - you have a lot of nerve.

Thanking people in advance and then spitting on them cuz you dont like their suggestions is no way to get help.

but since I am in a good mood...
18's are great for looks - but you don't want to race on them. 19's actually hurt performance badly - even on the street. I'd race 16's, or even 15's. But 17's are ok to track on if you only want one set of wheels. Also depends on your tire width - wider is more rubber on the road which is better handling and grab.

Also wheel weight has a significant affect. I've seen 19lb 17" wheels and 25lb 16" wheels.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-16-2004, 03:59 AM

simple but technical explanation...ok here you go...16's are smaller than 17's. 17's look better while 16's perform better. just like my man up there said. but the difference is minimal with stock issued wheels. wheels and tired that are facory issues have little to no difference. if you leave the stock tires and rims on they will both be heavy rims on all season tires so ultimate performance would notchange with either one. and trust me those of us on here know very well that those are the only 2 sizes offered from the dealer, what most of us refer to here are the aftermarket sizes that will fit which vary greatly and thus change the looks and performance on anything alot. and as a fellow rookie to these posts my adivce to you is to appreciate the time and advice others give you and not come on here with a loaded gun!

Old 01-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Site Moderator

holy dead thread, batman... but a good answer just the same

Old 01-17-2004, 06:52 AM
3rd Gear

WOW that guys a real bonehead I went from 15s to17s on my last car and actually decreased my total diameter (including tire of course) by useing a very low profile tire went from 195/<FONT color=red>55</FONT>/15 to 225/<FONT color=red>40</FONT>/17 </P>

And very soon im going to do the same on my audi when winter ends though I think I might use 225/45/17s to upgrade from my factory 15s</P>

So the real answer is that its all relative like they said the actual overall diameter is the same the reason lager diameter wheels hurt performance is that the make the allready tall gears taller which means slower excelleration and slightly higher top speed (which of course you wont really notice due to the difference in wheel diameter larger in this case, your speedometer will actualy read incorectly slower)</P>

But from the factory all the guess work is taken out of it so have fun with your new toy ....OOh wait its not really yours huh? your leasing. </P>

Old 01-18-2004, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

Okay, I'll give this a shot... When I first test drove my 2003 a4 quattro it was equipped with these dinky *** 15" rims. Yes, 15" rims! They looked so horrible to me (no offense to anyone who has those on their a4). But because they were 15" rims, the tire profile was much higher (like balloons). The ride quality was very confortable, although handling left much to be desired. </P>

I ended up getting the 17" wheels on the car before leaving the lot, and noticed thatbecause of the lower profile of the tires on the 17" rims, the ride was a bit more bumpy,whileremaining comfortable, but handling performance was much better. Even the tire compound on the 17" wheels were better, so that also increased the performance over theli'l 15's. Plus, they just look better.</P>

When some of the other peoplewere mentioning about performance being better, or the car being faster with the smaller wheels,I assume they meant that the lighter weight of the smallerwheel would increase overall performance of the car, because unsprung weight (weight at the wheels) makes abig difference in braking and acceleration. And believe me, the factory 17" 5 spokes are pretty heavy.</P>

All in all, if you did get the 17's, be happy. I like mine. If you got the 16's, and later you think you want to get a little more radical, you can buy some nice aftermarket rims that are larger AND lighter, and have the best of all worlds.</P>

I hope my post brought a little bit of better understanding of wheels. Good luck.</P>