Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$366 Dollar Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: $366 Dollar Ticket!

yea dude, im also from CT, very familliar with Rt. 9, used to do killingworth to randolph rd all the time, those cops really have nothing better to do, and so to justify their time they go on a power trip and give you a ticket after making you sweat your ***** off. I'd definetly say fight it. been pulled 11 times, been to court 3 times, been to driver retraining 3 times... your best bet, get a decent lawyer and go to court. its worth the time. Dont let them get the best of you. Ben caught doin 115 on 9, there are ways out of it. good luck with that. and talk to your lawyer about that search crap...doesnt sound right at all.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 AM
2nd Gear

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chime in about the illegal search. Reading your post, it sounds like you never consented a search, unless by visual you mean he looked in the windows, then that would most likely be legal. If he searched your body before cuffing you, he can claim he was searching for weapons for his own safety. It sounds like, just like to what Schwartz said, they have nothing else to do. They were fishing for a real bust. I'm pretty sure that cuffing you was completely legal. I'm not sure how it is in CT, but generally speaking, when you are pulled over, you are considered to be 'under arrest', therefore they can cuff you accordingly. You might be able to claim harassment, however.

Considering that he doesn't have any evidence of you going 'xx'MPH other than his own visual estimation and your post above, you are likely to get off if you fight it. It wouldn't suprise me if he did show up for court though, they are paid to show up.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Administrator

First off the police officer may have been a dick.. but he had the right to cuff you its called officer safety.. they can do that. To protect themselves. Second off They can frisk a person down (Im going to bet thats what it was) and second off why in the hell were you doing 100mph..

Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

Okay I can only state this from Oregon law when I was a police officer but here is how it went in a few cases like yours i did.

1) they likely had multiple radars/lasers. The radar is in the car laser being the hand held. Does the ticket stipulate how the clocked you?

2) generally anything over 20-25 mph over the posted limit is considered reckless driving. IE a misdomeaor in Oregon (forgive my spelling short on time) This Gives them reasonable suspission you might have commited a crime. in this case it was the reckless driving

3)he asked you out of the car, Cuffing you was for his saftey and yours. The fisking and checking off all pockets is once agian for yours and his saftey. I've pulled butcher knives out of the purses of 50 year old women in 30 thousand dollar cars. It is perfectly acceptable, CUFFing and pat down is not arrest.

4) He searched the contents of your car, if it was a visual search limited to what he can see with the naked eye by looking in glove box, under seats, under dash..That again is perfectly legal you after all did commit a crime.

5) I allways laugh at laser/radar detectors. why? Radar can pic you out now at well over 5 miles away if the officer has terrain to do it. Laser can pic you out aslong as he has LOS and is not limited to the angle of which the gun is at.

6) I've been in court with oh about 10 100mph or so tickets, only 2 were with out proof. I won all of them. Why, I can guestimate speed with in the apropriate +-5mph for guestimation. the fact that there was a second officer to verify his claim only means you have Screwed your self out of 400$ and will pay more in insurance.

sandman Date 9/6/2005 12:31:55 AM
there is no way they can change the price of the ticket after writing it. actually him threatening you was probably just a deturrant to keep you from fighting it. im sure what he did was against policy and i would bet he could get in trouble or even loose his job for it.
LOL snicker.. he can not change what he wrote for the ticket but most states allow an officer to add to the ticket for diffrent infractions from up to a year previous. More than likely the officer was going to add/revise ticket. I've done that many times.

One was a girl who i warned once for doing 55 in 25 zone. her boyfriend just broke up with her.

next night she was on the way to the hospital 60 in 25... xboyfriend in car wreck i dealt with earlier. I warned her one more time and she would be ticket for all there reckless Drivings.

3rd night she was visiting him 60 in 25. Bamn. with coppies of 3 warnings her liscense to drive was yanked for 3 Mis for 1 year.

sucks but she could have killed any of the people in that down town area.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: jlaudio184

Laser jammers and radar detectors in CT are fully legal and wel within my rights.
Really? Whenever I've driven through CT, there are signs saying detectors are illegal. But I have out-of-state plates so maybe they are only illegal for furners. (Or maybe the law was changed since I paid any attention.) Also, radar jammers are a violation of FCC rules, not state rules. To quote, "Jammers, however, are illegal. The FCC has ruled that manufacturing devices, such as jammers, that interfere with devices in other services are inappropriate. Most recently, in December, the FCC issued a cease and desist order to Rocky Mountain Radar of Colorado to stop making jammers." http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transportation/radar.htm But, if you use a laser jammer, I guess that's ok.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

I think that you would be crazy not to fight it, there is no way that you can't win. And without the use of radar they pulled you over on assumption after following you for two miles! And then overreacted and bullied you for no reason. I could keep going on but I'm on a short scheduale but needless to say, fight it.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

On connecticut state tickets, the policemen are required to give the laser or radar gun serial number. He left that blank. I talk to 2 state troopers and they both said fight it. They have no proof, and he said to talk to the prosecuter beforehand and tell him what happened and how ive never been pulled over before. I should also mention that the officer admitted to not getting me on radar or laser. The prosecuter should tell this to the judge and he will throw it out on having no evidence, because its the cops word vs. mine and they dont want to tie up the superior courts with bull like that.

Im definatly fighting this one now that i talk to the troopers.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 PM

good to hear that you might get off on technicalities. lucky this guy wasnt very legit or youd be payin a hefty fine.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I still think its strange that you were driving wrecklessly and still think that you should get out of the ticket... If you speed just admit to it and pay the consequences.. and by me saying this im not saying put up with any officer harrassing you.. they shouldnt be doing that.. but just remember.. you cant get mad at any speeding ticket you get.. Just remember how many times you were speeding and didnt get caught

Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

wow what a f**kin dick!!! i never thought state troopers in Conn were such an ***, in Mass there r a HUGE ***. sorry bro