Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sticky" center console [PICS!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Default RE: "Sticky" center console [PICS!]

Nah, I need to de-face the console and clean out what the previous owner had spilled in it. Cleaning with Windex didn't work[:@]

Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator

electrical contact cleaner is the best possible thing to clean those buttons out.
The only draw back is its so strong it will wipe the decals right off your buttons if your not gentle.
So if you get some, try to spray it directly into the cracks and DON'T wipe over the buttons, just tap it lightly to dry it.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

electrical contact cleaner is the best possible thing to clean those buttons out.
The only draw back is its so strong it will wipe the decals right off your buttons if your not gentle.
So if you get some, try to spray it directly into the cracks and DON'T wipe over the buttons, just tap it lightly to dry it.
The problem is, the cracks between the button and the interface are so small that I can't fit anything in it; so I just have to deface the console, and clean it from there. I opened up that cig. ash holder right below it, and I tried feeling my way underneath the console. I definitely picked up some greasy brown **** just by touching it, so I'm guessing it's got all sorts of **** in it, probably some bacteria not known to mankind, too.

But hey, now that I've attracted your attention, auditech, any suggestions on how to gently deface the console so I don't bend it or break it? I have a tendency to do that. Quite alot.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 AM
4th Gear

Don't remove anything. Just gently spray contact cleaner into the small cracks with the attached nozzle. Then work the buttons back and forth and sop up the crud with the edge of a clean paper towel. Do not rub the buttons themselves

Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator

Contact cleaner didnt work for me, and I did several applications. My buttons are only sort of sticky though. They all work ok in the summer, but when winter comes, Im fukced. Im pretty sure you need to remove the radio in order to get the HVAC face plate off.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: david9999

Don't remove anything. Just gently spray contact cleaner into the small cracks with the attached nozzle. Then work the buttons back and forth and sop up the crud with the edge of a clean paper towel. Do not rub the buttons themselves
The stickness goes waaaay to deep for me to clean it like that. I mean, I'll give it a shot, but I doubt it'll work. Unless I find something really thin and long, that's semi-strong, it won't really work.

****, are you positive I have to remove the radio to get that panel off? I played around with it for a bit yesterday, it seemed to be able to come off without any alteration to the radio panel.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Site Moderator

I highly don't recommend taking off the A/C control head cover, more than likely your gonna break off a button or two then you need a brand new A/C control head.

Now if its really gummed up remove the A/C control head and spray the living hell out of it from the top of it, about 2 cans worth of electrical cleaner and watch what comes out of the bottom. IT WILL WORK.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I highly don't recommend taking off the A/C control head cover, more than likely your gonna break off a button or two then you need a brand new A/C control head.

Now if its really gummed up remove the A/C control head and spray the living hell out of it from the top of it, about 2 cans worth of electrical cleaner and watch what comes out of the bottom. IT WILL WORK.
It's seriously sticky. Like I said, I rub my finger along the bottom and I get a brown residue substance on my fingers. It's insane.

If I remove the panel and spray the **** out of the buttons, where is the gunk going to seep out to?

Old 10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

Then i would say pull that bad boy out of there and spray it from the top and let that goop fall out the bottom. The electrical contact cleaner will eventually dissolve it all, you just need enough of it.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Site Moderator

So you dont need to remove the radio or anything special to get the AC head pannel off?

Quick Reply: "Sticky" center console [PICS!]