Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sticky" center console [PICS!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Default "Sticky" center console [PICS!]

So guys, my center console buttons are kinda "sticky", what I mean by that is when I press the button, they either don't depress or they don't press in unless I press really hard. There isn't really a pic required, but I know you guys pitch tents at any threads that have pics

====

Stickiness rating is as follows:

1) Somewhat irritating; works with 1-2 tries
2) They sometimes work, sometimes don't. Takes 5-6 tries for efficiency
3+) Sticker than your mom's face after a scandalous night of her "changing my oil" (They won't work at all)

EDIT: I was so into the whole "I'm plowing your mom" thing, I forgot to ask you guys -- any suggestions on how to fix this? Maybe there's a slight misalignment of the buttons or something? I dunno.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: "Sticky" center console [PICS!]

My guess is something spilled on them. Try using some type of non-conductive cleaner on them. Or just get a damp cloth and wipe them down really good and press the buttons a bunch of times to see if that will loosen them up.

Josh

Old 10-06-2007, 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

My guess is something spilled on them. Try using some type of non-conductive cleaner on them. Or just get a damp cloth and wipe them down really good and press the buttons a bunch of times to see if that will loosen them up.

Josh
It feels like they're stuck from behind, you know? Like if you press the wrong side of a button it won't go in. Here's a proffesionally illustrated text-art for you:

V <-- Whereas "V" is equivalent to where the ideal pressure spot would be;
[---O---] <-- Whereas "O" is equivalent to the button, while the bracket and dashes indicate the "cosmetic button" that you see;

Consequently, if you put pressure on:

V
[---O---] <-- Now, if you put pressure over there, then it won't work, right?

---

Yeah, that's how it is man. I dunno, there might be a misalignment. I'll try getting a non-conductive cleaner. What's pretty common?

Old 10-06-2007, 05:03 AM
4th Gear

LOL, I like your visual aids. YOu will for that.

As for the problem, I am not sure how they would get misaligned. I think they are all one piece. You could try some electrical cleaner stuff. Make sure that your ignition is off just in case though. I am not sure if you can take that apart or not either. If so you could look and see if there is anything weird going on behind it. You may be able to.

Josh

Old 10-06-2007, 05:05 AM

LOL, I like your visual aids. YOu will for that.

As for the problem, I am not sure how they would get misaligned. I think they are all one piece. You could try some electrical cleaner stuff. Make sure that your ignition is off just in case though. I am not sure if you can take that apart or not either. If so you could look and see if there is anything weird going on behind it. You may be able to.

Josh
I took off that part where the Hazard blinker lights is. It was really dirty and kinda greasy (WD-40. Glass cleaner got it right out though) I might as well try to hit the console or clean sticky areas.

Hey, that's another question I had. I wiped it down with some ******* Windex (while my car was off, and then I didn't drive it for about two hours)

Does that work fine? Or should I really try buying something non-conductive.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:09 AM
4th Gear

No that will work. Windex dries quickly so it's fine. Just make sure you don't hit it with anything that takes paint off. If I remember right the buttons are actually clear/frosted white that are painted black.

If the WD-40 and glass cleaner worked than go ahead and try it on the other buttons as well.

Josh

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 AM

No that will work. Windex dries quickly so it's fine. Just make sure you don't hit it with anything that takes paint off. If I remember right the buttons are actually clear/frosted white that are painted black.

If the WD-40 and glass cleaner worked than go ahead and try it on the other buttons as well.

Josh
Alright man, I'll give it a shot. I'll clean it at like 11am tomorrow, and I won't use the car until 5pm, so it should dry up.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:16 AM
4th Gear

Oh yeah, it will be dry within 10-15 min most likely. GL and let us know how it goes.

Josh

Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 AM
4th Gear

The usual cause is coffee or drinks that spilled from the cup holder. The German engineers are getting back at us americans for WWII is my only explaination as to why they would put the drink holder right over 100 switches.

I used contact cleaner from Radio Shack and it fixed my buttons

Old 10-06-2007, 05:24 AM
4th Gear

LOL, thats a really good question!

Josh

Quick Reply: "Sticky" center console [PICS!]