Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What are your dislikes re: the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What are your dislikes re: the A3?

That's right - just push and hold the radio volume **** for 2 seconds. Steering wheel controls are disabled, however.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

so far my only two gripsare: i want to spend more money moding it, and the smallish cup holders. That being said I have only had the car for four days!!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 AM

Picked up my Lava Grey S-Line 2.0 6-sp today. I really like it, but:

I loaded up the car (navi, open sky, tech package, cold weather, etc) but I somehow overlooked the lack of power driver's seat with the s-line package. Any car costing more than 30K should come with a power drivers seat.
Also the previously mentioned armrest/hand brake issue.
And the lack of rear seat pockets or any place for the kids to stash stuff in the back seat.
The MMI has a bit of a learning curve as to be expected.
And the lava grey looks purple in some lighting conditions.
The black leather interior is a little drab and the seats could use the Alcantara inserts of the new TT.
The shifter is a little vague. Does anyone make a short shifter for it?

On the plus side, I got the Pirelli P-Zeros and this thing has great mid-range power. Can't wait to tune the ECU. And the bluetooth works great with my phone.

I got the car from Paul Miller Audi in New Jersey. I would recommend them highly. Great dealership!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM

just press the volumen buton and it stays on for an one hour[&:][&:][&:]
stock CD player doesn't read MP3 discs
no auxillary jack for mp3 players
well those are just minor things
NEED Quatro OPTION FOR 2.0T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
other than that love
THE A3 Is the best

Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Here are my adds:
[ul][*]No autoclose on sunroof. Audi engineers: this isn't that hard. Really.[*]Navigation is lame. Doesn't have a full phonebook like a Garmin does, so all you get are the "usual" things like gas stations and restaraunts. But when you need to stop at a nearby bank, sorry, you're asking the dude at the gas station. Good luck.[*]Armrest ratcheting - what's up with this? Everytime I get into the cubby I have to flip the armrest all the way back into the back seat to reset it. PITA.[*]Armrest doesn't extend. I can just barely rest the edge of my elbow on there.[*]Controls like the wipers are unnecessarily complex. I compare this to Saabs and Volvos which are more intuitive IMHO. American cars spell it out for you with a hundred labels. I don't want that, but why does one stalk need to have 87 functions?[/ul]

Things that have already been mentioned and I'll second the whine. Note that none of these I was aware of before I bought the car (I ordered essentially), though I still am fairly happy with the car.
[ul][*]No boost guage?!?! WTF?[*]Pirelli P6s suck a**. I've only driven them in warm weather and can't wait to get a quality summer tire on there. Can't speak to it's winter performance.[*]No power seats on a "loaded" A3? I'm still stupified by this. I can't seem to get anyone to tell me why this would be. Some idiot in Audi marketing needs to be fired.[*]BT integration seems very limited (compatibility-wise). Definately an afterthought in design.[*]Lack of CD Text[*]No quattro on 2.0T (though I hear rumors that this will be avail in 08?)[*]Sunshade crap. Seriously, if you're going to make it a roller-style, at least make it out of solid material.[/ul]
On the plus side, oodles of torque with APR Stage 1. I really like the DSG. Handling is pretty good, though I do plan to drop in the Neuspeed sway bar.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Mine has more rattles than any other car I've owned. Other than that no gripes.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Gator, both Neuspeed and Dieselgeek make good short shift kits for the A3.

All in all, these are very small gripes for such a tremendously good car. And I finally feel good that my caris missingsomething that Rich's car has, rattles. Excuse me sir, would you like some rattles with your Quattro??? LOL

Cheers!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pdxjim

No dip in the passenger side mirror when backing up.
I have got to ask cause I have never been able to get this to work. But is there special optional extra to have this drivers side mirror dip when reversing? I have my side mirror adjusting joy stick in the 12 o'clock position. But whenever I reverse I don't notice any change in the drivers side mirror. So is there a special set of buttons and ***** I have to tinker with or is it an option I seemed to have not got?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Add one more: red dash instrumentation. I know, it's an Audi-ism. But from a practical standpoint red is very harsh on the eyes which makes long distance trips tiresome. Also, I don't think I'd notice any warning lights for a while since everything is red. Unless the warning lights are in green (about as logical as the default being red).

Old 05-10-2007, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: mattrazzo

Add one more: red dash instrumentation. I know, it's an Audi-ism. But from a practical standpoint red is very harsh on the eyes which makes long distance trips tiresome. Also, I don't think I'd notice any warning lights for a while since everything is red. Unless the warning lights are in green (about as logical as the default being red).
Red is safer when driving at night because it doesn't ruin your night vision as badly as other colors. Astronomers use red-tinted flashlights when looking at charts, etc. for this reason.

Quick Reply: What are your dislikes re: the A3?