Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What are your dislikes re: the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What are your dislikes re: the A3?

That's why they call it an A3 and not an A4 or an A6 or an A8....... you get the idea.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Since you ask.... 2005 A3 TDI Sportsback gripes:

1. Centre console rubber strut/barthingy jamming into knee. Anyone know if this can be neatly removed or cut out?
2. Lack of memory for electric drivers seat. Nuts!
3. Lack of bonnet(Hood) light (I'm sure my 2002 A3 had this).
4. Lack of Auto Shut on sunroof and fiddly Auto Open (Again the Rover 200 was better at this).
5. No stowage for parcel shelf when removedand rear seats are lowered (Rover 200 stowed its parcel shelf neatly behind the driver and front passenger seats).
6. Lack of MP3connectivitywith CD Player. A 3.5mm socket line input would be good, anyone know how to do this?
7. Inadequate base from Bose system.
8. Insufficient directivity/shrouding of front passenger reading lights causing driver glare. Anyone know how to replace these with LED's which might be more directional?
9. Lack of centre console indication of lights and wipers. I find it hard to see if the wipers are in auto mode(waiting to see if they will wipe before realising they are off) as the angle between Auto and Off is small. It would also help to have centre console indication of the lights, instead of glancing down, especially for fog light combinations.
10. Lack of integral Carphone Retrofit Capability.

This latter issue is forme a real bone of contention. I was advised in May 2005 that the integral fit did not cater for Bluetooth so I had my Audi dealer install a 3rd Party Bluetooth. Subsequently in correspondence with Audi UK I found out thatBluetooth was available when I ordered my car, but despite the fact that the car hasthe multifunction steering wheel apparently the integral carphone kitcannotberetrofitted.Anyone know better?

Love:

1. Beep on Central Locking which is an improvement on 2002 A3.
2. Engine Economy/Acceleration - Economy, not quite so good as 2002 A3, butacceleration is wicked for a diesel so maybe foot heavy.

Actually apart from the engine I think my 2002 A3 was a better built car. The Sportsback is still fun if a little disappointing.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Hmmm...#8 in the US has a little visor like flap that folds down at the edge of the roof line in front of the rearview mirror that will block the reflection from the map lights.

BTW, I would love to have an A3 TDI. A few mods and that would be one smooth torque monster!

Cheers!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Hmmm...#8 in the US has a little visor like flap that folds down at the edge of the roof line in front of the rearview mirror that will block the reflection from the map lights.
Cheers!
I learn something everyday, add this to the list.

Brilliant!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 AM

It also works okay if the sun is poking directly above the rearview mirror when you're driving. I've used it a few times for that too!

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

Hand brake placement totally sucks...if the armrest is down, you need to contort your arm to work it....

Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

Since you are replying to my earlier non-related message, the design of the armrest in relation to the hand brake does cause some interference as you said. To me the hand brake is workable, but if they had made armrest slightly shorter that would be more comfortable when using the hand brake. The armrest in the recent A4 looks similar to A3 but in the recent TT model they shrunk the armrest which solves this issue.

see these links: A4 TT

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Stryker - your A3 looks great. I have the same car/ color and have been looking into the Oettinger body kit. Were you able to get it pre-painted? I have only found them to come less paint. Also, how difficult was the installation? Your response is much appreciated.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Got a 07 S-Line myself so here are my thoughts re. my model-trim :

1.) a sun-shade that allows to switch between perforated and non-perforated
2.) ergonomic issues with the "arms" near the shifter that rub everyone's knees
3.) the cargo cover issue pointed out by OOOO-A3, how its jumps and bangs over speed bumps
4.) hasn't rained much here in LA, but jbrx7tt makes a valid point about window rain channels
5.) lack of Launch Control (GTI's have it, why not us?)
5.) more accessible fog lights from engine bay
6.) would like to see a factory boost gauge
7.) bad cupholder designs, all around
8.) one-touch sunroof retract
9.) rear passenger lock/unlock button located on door, not near rear ashtray
10.) a better quality emergency jack
11.) anyone notice how if your car is locked and you open your trunk via remote then close, it automatically locks in a few secs? I've locked myself out twice already for having left my keys in while retrieving stuff from the trunk. I know it's a security measure but a little longer latency on the relocking would be nice
12.) stock CD player doesn't read MP3 discs
13.) no auxillary jack for mp3 players (a staple on new cars)
14.) not all bluetooth enabled phones can get their phonebook to work with the A3's bluetooth (ie. my Samsung SYNC)

That's all I can think about for now. Nevertheless, I love my A3!!!!

And have you guys noticed that there are little red led lights for your door handles?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

pdxjim - Have you tried just turning the stereo on with the car off (key out)? It worked for me. The stereo can be powered on independently of the ignition.

Quick Reply: What are your dislikes re: the A3?