Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?

if you read the a3 brochure closely, you'll see that it says "MMI inspired"...so it's not a true MMI system...

Have i been spending far too long thumbing through a3 brochures? without a doubt...but you all understand, right?

still agonizing over the sport/premium decision...

the evidence

Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Man, this seems a little like splitting hairs. But I'm telling you,

A) I have a 2007 A3 in my garage with the Nav/Sound package
B) When the LCD Flat Panel comes on, and you accept the disclaimer, the "MMI, multimedia interface" logo comes on the screen before it goes into the functions.
C) I also happen to have the full manual for the car, and there is an extra one for the NAV. First page shows MMI, nothing about 'inspired'.

So, I can't imagine what other functions there would be besides what we get with our A3 and the Nav/Sound package. Don't sell this system short, it's the real deal.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

It's not about how nice it is or what the functionality is. The system in the A6 and Q7 is a newer generation of hardware. Yes it has similar features (it is still a car so it's going to be very similar) to the RNS-E hardware (which is what's in the A3) but it's not the same. Presumably it was easier to incorporate an ipod interface in the newer MMI hardware than the RNS-E hardware and that's why that interface isn't available for the A3. It doesn't mean it's not possible to do the same thing for the RNS-E, but it is a different system and uses different interfaces. Given that it's likely that each new re-design of the current Audi line up will incorporate the new MMI hardware, they may decide not to make it work w/ RNS-E (if it's even possible).

MMI vs RNS-E

Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

The A3 doesn't have the 'true' MMI...mine also has that splash screen, but I was informed by the guy who hacked mine for Video in motion that it's not a true MMI system. No seperate nav wheel...no real MMI. He's looking into the whole iPod integration thing, but for now, we're stuck with just getting sound out of the speakers, no true integration.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 AM

Hey guys just installed my Dension IceLink Plus and cradle it works fine with my 30G Video Ipod. I have a 2007 A3 Premium with standard stereo (no bose, or changer). You can use the ipod if you want to listen to something other than the first 5 playlists. I didn't mount the cradle, it just sits in the glove box where the CD Changer would go. It took me 30 minutes to install. I bought the the kit with and cradle on ebay for $0.01 and $14.99 for shipping. I was skeptical at first but when UPS delivered it was the real deal with everything included including Dension user manual and installation guide. Total cost was $15 plus $10 for the audi stereo removal tools. What a bargain especially after researcing the DICE kit and other interface kits at best buy and circuit city. The seller on ebay says he has a whole bunch of these. Hope this helps, happy modifying.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

15 dollars? for the dension icelink plus?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 AM

Yep - like I said I was skeptical. Its the real deal.

Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DENSION-ICEL...oQQcmdZViewIte

Thought it would be worth it just to see if this was legit. After emailing seller I thought I would go for it. To my wallets surprise it was the ENTIRE set-up, wire harness, interface module, mounting kit, tools install guides etc....

The one thing I was worried about was that his ebay add says its for Audi models listed (A4, TT, some A6's etc...) and the A3 wasn't listed. But after looking at Dension's site the interface cable is the same for the A3 and A4 as long as you don't have the Nav/Bose. you can look up t www.dension.com/icelink_comp.htm

Old 11-08-2006, 04:57 AM

Thinking about it more... I should have bought all the audi kits from this seller and sold to you guys on the forum for a profit... oh well I guess its cheap dension icelinks for everyone.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Okay, I don't get these statements...

"Not a true MMI"
"No Nav Wheel"
"No Real MMI"

The same buttons for functions on this MMI system are available on the A3 as the other Audis. The same ***** are available too. There is a Nav Wheel. This is a multi-media interface. Truly, it is.

Like the other guy was saying, it might have a different format underneath, (RNS-E, of which I see some stuff on sale on eBay for) But the thing is a full-blown system that indeed works, and works well with all functions, including Navigation.

The iPod integration with any Audi from the dealer has been a joke however. That's what my original post started as... You would think that this system would be an easier one to integrate with since it already has the SD cards for MP3s. Also because of that you would think this is the newest design as well.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

In case anyone wants a good recommendation, I just got a Blitzsafe unit ($75 total) from Enfig Stereo that basically charges & plays through the dock connector and keeps the navigation controls on the Ipod screen (which I think are easier anyway). Fits into the CD changer pin connector on back of (Nav) stereo. I have the changer that is in the glovebox but no realy need for it at all....

Hope this helps anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive but effective solution.

Quick Reply: True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?