Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tiny scratches on my black a3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Tiny scratches on my black a3?

i noticed super tiny fine scratches everywhere on my black a3 after i got it washed. I looked n other black cars and it looks the same but worse because of the age of the car. Is there any way around this? Or it just comes with the territory of a black car? How about a special wax or something? Are they permanent scratches or just weird surface flaws? Hit me back if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tiny scratches on my black a3?

stop taking it to a car wash. use two buckets when you wash, one for the shampoo, the other to rinse the microfiber wash mit that you will be buying. This is called the "two bucket" method. Scratches that you are introducing to your black paint come from not having a clean materials which are touching the paint (either your wash rag or from the car wash). Get rid of all your old towels and get a bunch of microfiber towels for washing, drying, and doing the windows.

The scratches you now have can either be buffed out with a compound or polish if they aren't too deep. Or they can be filled it, (but will reappear because they are still there). This is where detailing gets technical because if too aggressive a compound is used the wrong technique ortoo aggressive of a buffing pad, you'll introduceswirl marks. Afer you decide how to deal with the micro scratches, either by removing them or filling them, then you put ona sealant, such as a polymer orwax.

If you want more info, let me know.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear

^ What he said. Good post

Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

WOW! Bezor is the guy to ask detailing questions to

Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

yeah bezor maybe you could do a write up about detailing the a3 and chef could put a link in the noob section! That way you wont have to explain it everytime someone asks.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the props. But the information is out there. This is just a hobbie of mine, and I love sharing what I've learned, but I also know that each car has it's own set of problems. This is true for the two car I own. The Bimmer which is a very dark navy blue is 6 years old and needs a slightly different approach than my new '07 silver.

Here's where I've been hanging out for info and products:
http://detailersdomain.com/index.asp- Check out the free video how to section!

http://forums.audiworld.com/detail/- A few professionals and detail shop owner post there.

http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html- Very broad based. Good place to price compaire products.

http://www.detailedimage.com/ - A place to get direct sales sent to you

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ Kinda snooty, has some over lap of other detail product sites. Prices are about the same as any elses on the net.

My favorite place to ask stupid dumb questions of detailing pros is here: http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/index.php - These guys rock. Very open with their analysis and feedback as to others experiences with different products. A lot of support. Lot of relevant non-sales oriented based information.

Also: Check out Mother's web site
Meguires website: (very helpful in establishing a "plan" for your car with their products).
Griot's: good place for more generic products
Porter Cable - google whom ever has the lowest price then divide the price among a few buddied and have a detail party. :0

Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the links-- I've got some reading to do.

What's your take on buffers? I know Porter Cable makes a nice one that a lot of the guys on the Meguiar's forum rave about, but I've heard so many negative things regarding swirls and paint damage in general.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

I have a black A3 too - have had the same problem- a few weeks ago, took it to a hand car wash, and it came back with scratches on the roof! Obviously their cleaning clothes were dirty and had scratched down the surface of my car.

Since then I have always washed my car myself.

Try using T-Cut (black colour) to hide any major scratches (dont use too much of this stuff tho - not that great for your car as it can be abrasive).

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is also great for scratches.

Unless your scratches are major, I wouldnt go and do anything drastic. Try giving your car a wash first using the above products, and see how it looks.

I finish my car with Jofs car wax (used for polishing Harleys). Its amazing stuff - available on ebay, very cheap but by far the best wax I have come across so far. Gives a lasting shine and great protection.

Cheers

Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 AM

We have an awesome resource on this forum. Check out the detailing section and the post by Detailed Image. There is a thread that deals well with all of these items and he answers any question and is quite knowledgeable.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_496419/tm.htm

Cheers!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

A super shiny A3 in black is by far the sharpest looking, it looks 10 times sportier then any other color.
Exactly my thoughts when I wash shopping around and saw black A3's in the Audi show-rooms.
I had no other option in color but only going with BLACK. BUT....now, I am going on almost 5-6 months with my black A3 and its definetly a color I regret.

From traveling interstate Route 80 everday, I find myself driving behind or beside trucks alot.
Doing 80mph everyday on a major highway with drump trucks and tractor trailer trucks has a big effect. Nicks and scratches especially on the front end of my A3. And its not getting any better.

Also, the washing and waxing process on a black car is so very time consuming and it never comes out right for me. I've been using all Meguire's products. The first time I used the Meguires wax, I did a pretty nice job, my black A3 glowed!. But the 2nd wax job last month turned horrific. I had to re-wash the car big time. I think its mostly me rushing the wash and wax and wanting to get it over with, so I can go on with my day and not spend an entire weekend on washing my car.

Do any of you know of easier wax products? Instead of the wax on liquid stuff and then waiting for it to dry, and then wiping the wax off? The process takes forever. It's making me think of bringing it to professional detailers every couple months and just paying.

Quick Reply: Tiny scratches on my black a3?