Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Speedometer error revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 PM
L7
1st Gear
Default RE: Speedometer error revisited

One thing of minor concern for those of you who have the speedometer error on the plus side: The word I've heard around is - If you are involved in an accident where there is a fatality, be it you, passenger or the other vehicle's occupants. The NTSB will investigate the accident and recreate it to the best of their ability. Which includes connecting into your car's computer and down loading the last few seconds of vital data - which could include speed and or whether brakes were being applied. Along with anything else that could be a factor to your insurance company declaring you negligent.So, if the variance is off by +5.
That could be read as 15mph over the speed limit for someone who generally moves with traffic that is moving at 10mph over the speed limit. Meaning you are moving faster than the regular pace of traffic.
Nothing to be of serious concern - but, if you are in the +5 area - you may want to take it up with the dealership next time you are in for some other servicing. At least they can check it, and even if they can't really fix it - it will be documented that your speedometer is off.Just one of those things I keep in my CYA file.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Honda Motors recently entered into a settlement agreement as part of a class action suit which charged them with purposely having speedometer/odometers which inflated actualmiles traveled. Of course they denied any wrong doing but settled anyway and they are required to extend warranty miles by 5%on certain models.

We were notified because of my wife's car which isa '04Acura TL but it was not part of the affected group. She has a low serial number and all of the affected vehicles for her model were apparantly later but this has been going on since 2001 with some Accords and other Honda products.

This inaccuracy may be an issue with other manufacturers as well. To paraphrase a well worn expression, we can put a man on the moon, but we can't have accurate speedometers even in luxury or near luxury marques. BS!!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Threeputt

John S1,

There seems to be a difference between the years. My owners manual on page 30 references "Electro-mechanical steering". No mention of digital speedometer anywhere in the manual.
Concerning the speed warning system, I did find, in very small print, a notation thats says the speed warning system will sound at 6 mph OVER the selected speed. What good is that. Around here that can be enough for a speeding ticket. I guess you must read the manual word for word. Thanks for your help.
FYI: 2006 models are given the digital speedo if they have the "sport" package. premium package (as i have) alone does not get the digital speedo.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM

It may helpif we could get as many people as possible to contact AudiUSA to bitch about this incompetence, I just sent a second e-mail since Sept. 06 which is when I got my 07 A4. I will be hearing from them in a couple of days. They give you a call back and try to assist you, don't hold your feelings back. It would be great if we could spread the word around the forum and other Audi owners.

We are spending alot of money on Audi's we deserve precision engineering like we thought of them to be.(used to anyway)

Old 03-11-2007, 02:23 PM

UK laws discovered this issue a long time ago and it was recognised by the manufacturer and is perfectly normal ( 10% plus 2 mph ) speed cameras are calibrated every day by law and carry a certificate which you can view on request if you think you were doing below the speed the cops say you were doing and this is becoming a big issue over here,
most people know when they are speeding and willingly except the pain but when you know you want then its down to the police to produce their certificate upon your request so you can decide if its worth taking legal action ( if you think you were in the right never admit to anyone you want ) ie: sorry officer my mind was else where, just by saying that you have admitted the offence so the less you say the better the chance in court.

always keep your legal head on in these circumstance...

remember they calibrate you cant

Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Y'all are going way overboard.

Per the manual (and a previous poster whom you all ignored), the alarm will sound at 6 mph OVER the set speed.

There is likely nothing wrong with your speedometer, it's that you didn't know or didn't read the manual.

Just set it 6 mph under the speed you want the alarm to go off at, and you're set. One advantage of this setup qould be that you don't have to break the speed limit yourself when you are setting the alarm (unless of course that's your intent).

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

My speedometer actually shows something like 3% faster than what I am going, which I think is intentional, since on the car Nav unit, you could go into the engineering mode and view the speed info the car is feeding it, and that pretty much matches the speed that it gets from the navigation satellites.

Last edited by LWNY; 11-11-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Mine is a consistant 2 mph off in the plus direction. (indicated 35 mph 33 actual) The digital and analog spedos are off by the same amount. I thought it was just mine but looks a little more wide spread.