Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Racks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Racks

ORIGINAL: Country Grammar

I have had the Thule rack on my 06 A3 for two and half years now. I worked directly with a guy fromThule fit systems and recieved one of the first fit kits for the A3 here in America. I have never taken it off and haul my roadbike on it at least 3 days a week all year long. The customer service at Thule is the best. Couldn't even get Yakima to give me a date on when fit kit would get finished. I get comments on the roof rack all the time. I'll post a picture in the morning.

Cheers
It's too bad Thule USA won't supply their euro parts here in the USA. I contacted them and they couldn't help me get parts for the roof rails since technically roof rails isn't an option on the A3 in the USA. That's why I had to order from www.roofrackshop.com in the UK... Scotland. Shipping was around 80 bux. And with the crap exchange, whatever the price that's listed on their site you can just double it for the US price.

ORIGINAL: Phildo
titanium package kicks ***. im jealous
I believe that Hesaputz has had his car long before the titanium package came about. Pretty hot.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

anyone with the thule system have any type of scratching with the fit kit?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

I forgot to mention that if you have the open sky system and you attach bike racks onto the roof rack, the sliding glass roof may hit the bottom of the bike rack and not open all the way. at least this happens to my yakima rack.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

So in Angryrican's post on fourtitude he listed the order code for the roof rails as CS2 for the black rails. I just spoke to the dealer and he had no idea what I was talking about. He did some further digging and said the order code is 3S2. apparently the total for both rails and the hardware needed to attach is approx $950. Then comes the labor fees which will vary depending on where you have the rails mounted. Can anyone confirm the price for the rails?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

No scratches with thule...also no interference issues with the sunroof

Thule has worked great for me.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:23 AM

Yakima, in my experience, interferes with open sky. the fairing interferes with the front of the glass + the bottom of the bike tray interferes with the trailing edge of the glass as it lifts and move rearward.
I even created a 1.5" block to lift up the tray; but the tightening hardware still interfered.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

No scratching with my Thule rack. Had it on for 2yrs straight so far.
Easy to put on yourself as well.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

I have the factory rack and the nice thing about it is that its width is fit perfectly. I know I'm picky, but I just hate it when the generic racks stick out on either side - it just looks ugly. Also, is formed so perfectly so that it won't pinch your car at all, preventing damage. For me, that would be enough to justify the extra cost (after all, I spent almost $40k on the car, what's another couple hundred?). However, the one thing that really really ticks me off about the factory rack is that the end caps are extremely fragile. I ordered mine on the internet and it came with three of the endcaps cracked. I sent it back and got another one also with cracks. Since I was in the middle of the ski season and couldn't wait, I just sucked it up and kept it. Anyway, if you want to get the factory rack, make sure you go to the dealer and check the rack before you drive away to make sure you don't have a cracked one.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

here is my new rack setup on my 1 month old missano red A3. It is a thule with aero bars and inno low down cruiser box. It was hard to find a box that fits well because of the hatch clearance. I need to get a fairing now.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

Here's some pics finally of my factory roof rails with Thule rack parts....

Quick Reply: Racks