Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Open Sky + summer heat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Open Sky + summer heat?

ORIGINAL: Audi Duty
You must have missed my post near the top of this thread.
By the way - I don't know exactly what the roof panels are made of, but I doubt they're "glass." More likely high-impact plastic. Tinting the Open Sky should have no effect on the panels.
I'm 99.99% certain they're glass. There have been a few reports of sunroof (untinted) shatter over on vwvortex. In addition, plastics don't stand up to UV light well at all.

If you're worried about the sunroof shattering after applying tint (some installers refuse to tint sunroofs because of this), a Phoenix Audi dealer was able to get Audi to OK tinting of the sunroofs w/ Huper-Optik Drei.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: stryker

Chef or anyone for that matter, has anybody tinted their opensky glass and with what kind of tint ?
i'm sure it might help me with the heat down here in MIA but i was told the glass could crack.
i have tinted both panels. the guy who did the tinting said they did it before and had no problems with the glass cracking. i had it tinted about 1 month ago something about 10 percent or so i believe. i also have 35% all over the sides and back

Old 11-18-2006, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear

Not to be a pain the glass but that open sky looks like glass sounds like glass therefor that shiat to me is glass!
about the tinting of the open sky it sure looks like i'm going to chance it, cause in the summer that shiat gets hawt!!
So final verdict on my man picking between getting the A3 with or with out the open sky..... get the S4 with sun roof and call it even?
LOL!

Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Without the Open sky it seems like the back seat would feel a little cramped...it appears larger with the sunroof, I couldn't live without mine it's always open except in the rain.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: id_a3

Without the Open sky it seems like the back seat would feel a little cramped...it appears larger with the sunroof, I couldn't live without mine it's always open except in the rain.
I might appear but it really isn't because of the dip in the ceiling. Note only the forward pane opens (slide back or back lifts) , the rear pane doesn't open.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

The back lip of the sunroof is where anyone is going to have a problem. It sticks out into the cabin the most, and it's also where my head is when in the back seat. I suppose if I have to order what I want, I'll go sans Open Sky and try to forget the nifty black glass top that makes the A3 look so cool is not there. Or if the dealer can locate one that has Open Sky but also has all the features I actually want, I'll go that route. I will ask them about tinting if this is the case.

I had to drive an older Acura Legend for a few days in August. It was light colored with light interior, and the sunroof on that thing -even covered - turned that car into a friggin' oven even with the windows cracked. Probably 10-15 degrees hotter than my black interior WRX.

Or Maybe AoA will wise up and make solid covers available....and memory seats...and fix that ergonomic nightmare e-brake/armrest issue. Not holding my breath.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:54 AM

Live in Las Vegas too. It gets real hot. Had the entire car limo tinted (top of the line 3M material) including the open sky panels. Illegal but I'll take the chance. Signifcantly more comfortable once tint was put on. Not sure about exact temps.

Didn't want the open sky but dealer made me a good deal I couldn't pass up plus I didn't want to wait for an order. Actually with the tinted panels the open sky is really growing on me.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

They don't open the roof the let the shade be open. None of them complain and they complain when a car isn't comfortable. Open sky is GREAT!!!