Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

My tire exploded... sort of

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My tire exploded... sort of

So here's the news, and most of you will be disappointed as I am.

They looked at the tire, and it appears that the separation was in the middle of the wall, not from the very top. Because of this, they are saying that it's probable that I hit two bumps: the first most likely weakened the wall, and could have caused some bubbling on the inside that I wouldn't have noticed; the second would have caused the flat. I did argue this a bit, but since it's difficult to prove that it was a single bump with the tire and half the wall sitting right there, it's something I had to concede the possibility of.

This will not fall under warranty. The service rep also looked at my other front tire and said the tread in the middle looked a bit low. Essentially they are taking a closer look at it, but will likely replace the two front tires and will charge me for both, including alignment.

Here's the kicker: they only have the P6 immediately in stock right now and if I wanted other tires, I'd have to wait an extra day, which I really don't care to do since I need my car. So basically, I'm shelling out $512 for two tires and an alignment just so that I can ensure that nothing is wrong with the car. Hopefully they don't find additional issues when doing the alignment. If I wanted better tires, it'd also cost me a lot more, so I'm going to play it cheap here and wait until I really need new tires to replace them all.

This brings my total to about $12 over my insurance deductable, which I would rather not make a claim at this point. My insurance (AAA) is telling me that I'm possibly liable to have rate hikes if I make a claim, which sounds like utter BS to me, but I'd rather avoid anyhow since I won't be saving much at all.

The lesson: Don't drive in the slow lane, because it likely has potholes and will **** you over. This is likely caused by the massive amounts of trucks that drive in this lane, as opposed to the fast lane. Also, it's much easier to see ahead of you in the fast lane, assuming there are less cars directly ahead of you that block your view of such road hazards until it's almost too late.

Either way, I wasn't expecting to get hooked up with new tires, so it's not like this is of much surprise to me.

If anything like this happens to any of you (God forbid it), I hope you guys have better luck than I.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Hey man, sorry to hear that. Have considered buying a new set of good tires and sell the P6s that you have left?
If you want to stay with the all-season tires, I have great experience with these 2 tires
Bridgestone RE960

Continentnal ContiExtremeContacts

Those conti's are $100 a pop, you can't beat its price (and performance)

Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

That's not a bad idea, actually. Those Conti's are looking really good at that price. I'll definitely consider it... thanks for the heads up.