Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Know anything about the 2008 iPod interface?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Know anything about the 2008 iPod interface?

I'm getting ready to make my order.(Hopefully tomorrow). Excited that you can get an iPod interface now, but confused as to why I cannot get it with the CD changer. I'm getting the Nav/Bose System for starters...which has MP3 slots behind the nav screen. But then I have to choose between a CD changer OR iPod interface. If I have to choose I would probably take CDs, since I have the MP3 card capability.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Know anything about the 2008 iPod interface?

From previous years the stock iPod adapter is said to suck and be overpriced. However, be it the stock version of aftermarket, I'd prefer to have an iPod/Auxilary interface over a CD player. Why? Because I carry my entire music collection on my MP3 player and having a direct input gives me great quality sound with access to thousands of tracks at any moment without having to switch out the disc. Not to mention I haven't bought/burned a CD in ages.

That said, yes you can use your SD card in the back of the Nav unit and keep a certain (limited) collection of files on there. If you have a large collection of CDs, then the CD changer could be a good investment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the satellite/iPod adapter splitter also work with the CD Changer and iPod? That could be a possible solution to having both, but you'd need to verify that.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

I've been aware that the iPod interface has sucked from Audi prior to this. (ie, the sound came out of the speakers but there was virtually no control to the iPod with the steering wheel and radio buttons.) However, I'm going to trust that Audi now has this together and that this new interface will actually allow you to control and see all aspects of tracks/songs/artists within the display unit. Hmmm, maybe I'm going too far?

I do have a significant CD collection from the past, but the most recent few years has mostly been spent acquiring my songs on iTunes and other MP3s. It's also been my experience that the CD's seem to sound better in the car, just slightly, than the MP3s. And regarding the limits of the SD cards, I had two 4GB cards that seemed to work fine in my 2007 A3.

Finally, I have an iPhone now. I'm not even sure it is covered in the 'compatibility' with this new interface. But my salesman is checking for me.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

I'm going to trust that Audi now has this together and that this new interface will actually allow you to control and see all aspects of tracks/songs/artists within the display unit. Hmmm, maybe I'm going too far?
I wouldn't trust Audi to have gotten it together by now.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

I couldn't find any info either, but like Jeratain, I carry most of my stuff on my ipod and I'll also have the two sd cards behind the nav so no need for a changer.
I just ordered mine this weekend so unfortunately it will be a couple months before I could give you any more info.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:21 AM

Picked up my '08 TT 2.0 yesterday, with Nav and iPod. The integration is pretty rudimentary - basically five playlists or use "CD6" and scroll through all 1,000 (or whatever) songs.

It beats carrying around a bunch of CDs, but the integration could be a lot tighter, IMHO.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I found some documentation to that affect. (I think on Audi's site?) Glad I stuck with the CD changer. At least I will have the SD card slots for my converted iTunes audio to MP3... Thanks for the post.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bullfighter

Picked up my '08 TT 2.0 yesterday, with Nav and iPod. The integration is pretty rudimentary - basically five playlists or use "CD6" and scroll through all 1,000 (or whatever) songs.

It beats carrying around a bunch of CDs, but the integration could be a lot tighter, IMHO.
There's still a slim chance that the 2008 A3 will have better iPod integration than the 2008 TT, because the 2008 TT has been out for a lot longer, and they might have made some improvements in the meantime.

But, I doubt it.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Actually no, it's the same. Playlists (well, the first 5 anyway...) = CD 1-5, CD 6 = all tracks. And like all good decimal two digit fields when it gets to 99 and you want to go to 100 (or 200, or 300...) it scrolls frantically back to 1. Fun to watch, exactly once. My first 99 ends with the Byrds so getting to ZZ Top may never happen. I am thinking that I should make 5 99 song playlists just to be able to navigate better. Maybe in the HD RNS-F (?) they will get it right.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM

It's not too fun to try and connect your Ipod while you're driving......it's a hard place to reach to. Without reading the manual you'd be puzzled for hours on how to retrieve your songs......Mine has the 6 disc in dash and the Ipod.....I just picked it up on Friday. It's worth it to get it with both options in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Know anything about the 2008 iPod interface?