Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Improve the perfomance of your sub-woofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Improve the perfomance of your sub-woofer

Hey A3Guy,

This is a great tip and I'm dying to try it, but I was wondering if you had any tips on how to pull back the liner. I tried a little bit but I got tentative because it didn't pull out that easily and I didn't want to force anything.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

also...how did you determine exactly where to drill the hole? kinda scared of the one-shot aspect of doing this...

Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

It's always best to refer to your Bentley service manual, but in case your's hasn't arrived yet (I've always said a service manual should be the FIRSTthing anyone buys before working on a car ), here'smy Cliff notes version. Don't know how much detail you need so bear with me if it's a little long and/or obvious.
1) Remove the deck lid.
2) Pop out the cargo light. Pry up one end and remove the wiring harness.
3) Remove small torx head screw to the left of the light.
4) Remove the spare tire cover. Drop the rear seat.
5) Pull straight up on the rear sill cover. There are 2 spring clips that hold in on place, so you'll need to give it a good pull. Make sure the clips come off with the cover. If not, remove the clips from the body with needle nose pliers and reinstall on the cover.
6) Same with the Side Liner, there are 2 spring clips that you'll need to disengage from the body. Basically grab the rear edge (pull back the rubber weather strip) and maybe the top edge for control. Pull toward the inside of the cargo area. You'll need to use a forceful, quick tug (like when removing the engine cover). Remember, you're not completely removing the liner, just pulling it back a bit. Be careful not to over extend the liner and bend it. As with step 5, make sure the spring clips are in theliner and not the body otherwise remove them and install on the liner. Note: there is one clip at the rear and one more forward, toward the seats below the side window.
7) Cut liner, install grill, reinstall linerin reverse order of the above steps.

A few things to watch for when reinstalling liner:
[ul][*]Make sure spring clips are positioned over the body slots they go into to.[*]There are slots onlower edge oftheD-pillar trim. There aretabs on the top edge of the liner - make sure they are lined up.[*]Pull the cargo light wire harness thru the hole before snapping liner into place.[*]When reinstalling the rear sill cover, line up the spring clips and press straight down.Hammer with your fist to make sure the clips are engaged. [/ul]
Finally, to dd03's question about positioning...just place the grill on the liner so that it's centered and is on the flat surface. It won't line up exactly with the woofer, but so what? The idea was to open the area to let the sound out. In my case, the center of the grill is off about 1/2" from the center of the speaker. You really don't notice the mismatch. I can post a close up pic if you'd like to see it, just LMK.

Good luck! [/align][/align]

Old 06-23-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the detailed info! It's good to know that I need a Torx screwdriver. Do you happen to know what size it is?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tonicboy

Thanks for the detailed info! It's good to know that I need a Torx screwdriver. Do you happen to know what size it is?
It's a T20

***EDIT: it's actually a T-15*** also included is a T-10 and T-25 if you want to remove the whole panel.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tonicboy
It's good to know that I need a Torx screwdriver.
So then, my guess is that you're just getting started working on your vehicle...
If so then get a whole set of Torx screwdrivers and Torx driver bit sockets. You'll need 'em if you plan on doing anything more then filling the tank w/gas. Oh, and get a set of triple square (external 12 pt) bit sockets. And don't for get the service manual

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 AM

and a six pack

Old 06-24-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks to A3Guy for the idea! Bass is much improved IMO.

Needed are T-10, T-15, and T-25 Torx bits. I didn't have the right tools to remove the panel, so I just used a saw...still worked.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 AM
2nd Gear

I am about to do this myself. I noticed that this isn't listed on www.audidiy.com -- would you be opposed to having it added to the A3 list there?

http://www.audidiy.com/contact.html

If you want it listed there, you'll probably have to repost in the DIY forum here and give them the link to that post.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

I noticed that this isn't listed on www.audidiy.com --
Actually it is listed under "Disconnecting the Stock Subwoofer" with a nice set of pictures:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2741663

There are slots onlower edge oftheD-pillar trim. There aretabs on the top edge of the liner - make sure they are lined up.
When pulling away my quarter panel, those tabs were hard to disengage. I used a flat-blade screwdriver, twisted between the pillar trim and the quarter panel to help. There are three tabs, and only the center tab does NOT have a locking step on it.

Also, the forward spring clip under the side window was very stiff on mine - it actually pulled out of the quarter panel rather then it's slot on the body. I've since 'de-tuned' it with pliers (reduced the flareed portion slightly).

The Torx fastener next to the trunk light is a T25, and should you need it, the Torx screws holding the speaker are T15. Haven't found a use for a T20 yet...

Quick Reply: Improve the perfomance of your sub-woofer