Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Help now please--audi A3 3.2 vs Lexus IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help now please--audi A3 3.2 vs Lexus IS250 AWD

ORIGINAL: fusionx

I also testdrove both cars and loved the A3 ALOT more. It just was a lot more fun to drive and just seemed like an all round better car. I also got the 2.0 and never test drove the 3.2 so I can't imagine how much more fun the 3.2 is
The 3.2 is (IMO) a lot less exciting to drive than the 2.0. Sure it has more power but its also A LOT heavier and you lose more power between the crank and wheels. The pick up seems to be slow and overall the 2.0 is just a lot more perky. It like comparing a little yapper dog (quick and excited) thats always bouncing off the walls to a golden retriever or lab which are a lot bigger but have more power... I have no idea how or why I chose this analogy. [sm=smiley22.gif]

Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Comparing to anA4 scenario: I agree, the 2.0T seems faster and much perkier than the 3.2. Although it is slower! Woodhead2k: Given the lower overall weight of the A3 do you find that this is still the case? Becuase the 0-60 time for the A3 3.2 DSG is .8 sec faster than the 2.0T. Its prob the same scenario because for the A4 it is 6.7 sec instead of 7.5. Even though a bigger engine feels bulkier, as long as its performance is justified, its worth it imo!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Regarding how the various cars drive, I agree with you on the exciting scale. After having test driven all three (several times), the IS250 comes out on the bottom of the barrel, underpowered and too numb when it comes to road feel, the A3 3.2 comes next due to its portliness and the lack of a manual transmission. IMHO, the winner by a wide margin is the A3 2.0T S-Line 6-Speed Manual.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
L7
1st Gear

Hi Shipo. I'm curious, is this your two finalists for your search? Why are the BMW's and WRX's missing from this list? Or even the Infiniti's? The reason that I'm wondering is - I totally agree with a bunch of the guys when they are saying that the comparison between the Lexus' and the A3's are very thin. I felt that way too about the Lexus - they did not last long on my 'brackets' - they are just not a car for driving. If ya know what I mean.
Just my two bits.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: L7

Hi Shipo. I'm curious, is this your two finalists for your search? Why are the BMW's and WRX's missing from this list? Or even the Infiniti's? The reason that I'm wondering is - I totally agree with a bunch of the guys when they are saying that the comparison between the Lexus' and the A3's are very thin. I felt that way too about the Lexus - they did not last long on my 'brackets' - they are just not a car for driving. If ya know what I mean.
Just my two bits.
Oh geez, do you know how to ask a loaded question or what?

First off, I don't like Subarus. Why? Hmmm, no one thing that I can point a finger at, I just don't like them deep within my gut.

Regarding Infinitis, no place for our dog (see below).

As for BMWs, well, in the past I've ownedmany cars, among themtwo Audis (1981 4000 4M 5-Speed, 1982 GT Coupe 5-Speed), two VWs (1979 Scirocco 5-Speed, 1995 Passat GLX 5-Speed), and two BMWs (1999 328i 5-Speed, 2002 530iSP 5-Speed), and have been converted to a BMW kind of guy. Why? I love RWD cars and all else being equal, I'd own nothing but RWD cars for the rest of my life. That said, there are a number of issues that have surfaced since I got the 530i (via ED, what a great trip that was) that are stacked against another BMW (for the moment at least).
[ul][*]I demand having the option of a spare tire (I know the 5-Series still has a spare tire well, however, due to some business issues, I cannot currently afford another 5er, that said, I have seen a couple of verytempting low mileage2002 540i 6-Speeds on the market recently).[*]I'm not a fan of BMWs latest round of interior styles, and I really like the interior look and functionality of the A3.[*]The latest crop of BMWs seem to be pretty bloated and heavy, the E90 3-Series included. I really like the tossability of the relatively light A3.[*]I really like having a dipstick, not only for eyeballing the oil level in my engine, but also because I'm a DIY kind of guy and I use an oil extractor for oil changes.[*]My wife bought us a dog (a Lab) that we need to schlep around, and the last place I want to be putting a dog is in the back seat. I like the A3 a lot more than every other small wagon type of car.[/ul]
What will I end up with for my next car? Unknown. That said, there is a very good likelihood that Wifey and I will be filling our garage with two A3s in the next month or two. [8D]

Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
L7
1st Gear

Shipo;
Ahhhh. Definitely know what you mean about the pooch. The wifey drives one of those 'suburban assault vehicles' for mainly totting the kids and the dog around. And also for the family vacations. The fact that the rear seats come down makes it easy for me to haul the dog if I need to and the family hauler is not around.
And looks like you got to the same stage in your search where I was at a little while back. Therefore, unless you are going to pony up the extra cash for a 328xi sportwagon - ya ain't gonna get the desired driveability and overall satisfaction. As for the Subarus, I too was not impressed. From a pure power and performance standpoint - it would have won out. But, I'm beyond that stage now in life. 'Sides, if I get the itch for pure speed - I take the bike out.
As for the Lexus - do they offer a wagon version? I also looked at the Mazda Speed 3's and 6's. Overall, it was not one distinct think or trait that had the A3 finish on top. In fact, I didn't like the A3 - the first time I test drove it. Yet, I kept it in the brackets.
I think, one of the things that helped me decide was definitely the interior. Performance is great, but, when stuck in our famous traffic here in the Baltimore/Washington area. You have not choice but to be staring at your dashboard and interior. And the A3 does not even hint at anything being close to cheap. I've always been totally happy with it and never had any regrets all those times.And if you are wondering about the dog carrying capacity of an A3. Well, it's German made so it's German Shepherd capable.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

I have a lot of insight on this as my previous car was a 2003 IS300 and have been converted into a 2007 A3 2.0t...

I loved my IS300, but my problem is much the same as yours... I have a large dog who just didn't fit in the back of the IS. I had one of those dog hammocks setup to keep my rear seats clean as I often had clients in the back seat and the dog would have destroyed them otherwise...

When my lease was comming to a close I looked at everything out there, including buying out my lease on the 2003 IS as well as a new IS250/350, the BMW's, Infiniti's, Acura etc. I basically slowly narrowed down my decision to either buying out my lease or leasing a new Audi A3 2.0t. Well, since I am on here surfing around on this forum my decision is clear... and I am very very happy to have gone with the A3.
As for traveling with my dog, its a cinch... I just fold down the rear seats and he jumps into the back... when we get out of the car, I just throw the seats back up and am ready for anyone to sit in the back and its no hassle!
Do I miss a lot of the convenience features that the IS had... ABSOLUTELY. The auto-dimming mirrors, heated / power seats in the front, the Xinon lights, etc (yes, I know they are all available on the A3, but that was outside my budget and I had decided that if I was going to lease a new car I didn't want the lease price to be more than my previous lease)

I was flip-flopping all over the place every day... until I decided to call the insurance company and see if the rates differed much and was SHOCKED! A 2007 A3 was over $150 per month less to insure than my 2003 IS300... I thought this must be a mistake as it didn't make any sense, low and behold (at least with Allstate) the A3 is classified as a station wagon and the IS a sports coupe... thus, the huge difference and why I ended up choosing to go with the Audi.

In the end, 9 months later I am SO happy that I did!! Do I have complaints with the A3, yes... overall however I am thrilled with it (until I start making millions, I will prob always have one complaint or another with my car)!

Thus, my vote is to go for the A3...

Also, if you havent already... get a insurance quote on the IS you are looking for as for some reason it was by far the highest in price over all the competitors I was looking at: 3 series / G35 / S40 / 9-3 Aero / Subaru / etc. For some reason the lexus always the most expensive to insure. If you don't feel like calling your insurance company and getting quotes on multiple cars you can always go to esurance.com and get free quotes on everything you are considering, you just fill out the profile once then start changing the cars and the quotes will start to filter in by email so you can use that as an estimate.

Hope my $0.02 helps!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: shipo

What will I end up with for my next car? Unknown. That said, there is a very good likelihood that Wifey and I will be filling our garage with two A3s in the next month or two. [8D]
Hmm maybe I missed it but why do both you and your wife need the same car? If you are deciding between two cars and you are getting two cars why dont you just get one of each. Diversify your portfolio.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

You've had Euro cars before, so I'm assuming you know they can be finicky at times. But Audis seem to be getting more and more reliable over the past 2-3 years. Was going to say if you want low-maintenance reliability but don't mind the lack of feel behind the wheel, go Lexus. If you want versatility, the A3 is hands down the winner.

I own the 3.2 and am completely happy with the drivetrain. I'm going to reflash and upgrade the exhaust, but that's just about all i'd ever need. The iron block V6 is unsophisticated and heavy, but it's been rock solid.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Swaynest

ORIGINAL: shipo

Hmm maybe I missed it but why do both you and your wife need the same car? If you are deciding between two cars and you are getting two cars why dont you just get one of each. Diversify your portfolio.
Diversifying the portfolio as it were is certainly an option; however, we're going to be keeping one of our current family haulers as a spare/Home Depot hack so there is no need for either of us to opt for a larger can than we need on a daily basis. That said, our Lab needs lots of exercise (and if he doesn't get it the interior of our house suffers), so he goes to one of those dog daycare places two to three times per week (where they run him until he drops, literally), and Wifey usually drops him off on her way to work and I'm usually left to pick him up on my way home. It would be so much easier not to have to go home first, change cars, and go back and fetch him.

That said, I just saw a 2002 540i 6-Speed with only like 45,000 miles on it for only $24,000.The 5er wouldn't have any Blue Tooth or iPod hookups (although there are a number of aftermarket iPod attachments available), it would get absolute crap gas mileage compared to an A3 2.0T 6-Speed, and would require me to swap cars before schlepping him home, even still, I might go give it a look.

Quick Reply: Help now please--audi A3 3.2 vs Lexus IS250 AWD