Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First Drive...Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: First Drive...Am I Crazy?

When you hit the gas where you at a stand still? When you gun it from a stop sign with the DSG the launch control is enabled and there issome noticeable "dead" time. The DSG is NOT your traditional automatic with a torque converter; its a true manual with two clutches control by hydraulics rather then your foot/clutch.

I've never really heard of developing turbo lag over time unless there is a mechanical issue that could be causing it. Possible boost leak? Try driving an A4 with a 1.8 and a A4 with a 2.0T. The 2.0 more or less eliminated the godawful turbo lag of the 1.8.

And for your dogs . I have a 90lb yellow lab and I don't see him in the back of an A3 unless it was a last result and I'm sure he wouldnt enjoy the smaller space and sloping head panel. Now you want to fit 2 75lb dogs in there [:-]?! I'm not sure if an A3 is really practical to fit two full size dogs in it. I would recommend looking into a new A4 wagon for a little extra space. I think the wheelbase is only 4 inches longer then the A3 but the total length is 12 inches longer. One of my good friends puts their 85lb lab in an A6 wagon and it seems to fit decently but two dogs in there still might not be their idea of a preferred drive.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Nope, lag was while driving. I was doing about 30mph, gave it a good goose and it just sat there for a second or two. When it did kick in it was fast, but louder than hell. The DSG seemed to be working properly, just a long pause before acceleration.

Interesting comment about the dogs. I've decided that if I don't like the A3 after my next test drive, I'm just going to stick with the RX300 for now. Here's what I need to fit in the back of that wagon...

Hmm, pics didn't post for some reason.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1201721455

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1201721519

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Topshelf-
I have a 60 lb. boxer as well and I just put a sheet over the back seats and she just sits on the bench. I've hauled two boxers back there before without any problems. How about taking the dogs with you to the test drive to see if they fit comfortably? If a salesman is willing to do that for you, you know he's one to work with.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

yes...to the original question

car kicks ***. Except for the lack of grab off the line its perfect

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Well guys, I didn't have a chance to take the A3 out for a second test drive, but I did spend some time looking at it at the Phila Car Show yesterday. After taking some measurements and thinking logically, I've decided that there's just no way the A3 would be practical for my 2 boxers. That being said, I was able to find a comfortable seating position this time, so the ride and size were the last 2 factors. Since the size is just too small, I'll have to take your word on ride quality. Haha At this point I'm kinda torn, I know the 325xi wagon would be my next best option, but I just can't get over the looks of it. We did take a BMW X3 out on Saturday though that my wife fell in love with, so it looks like that's where we're heading. I'm trying like mad to get out of SUV's, but until car makers stop making larger wagons (A4, 325xi) look like an old mans car, it's just not going to happen. Anyway, thanks for all the input and enjoy that awesome DSG!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Honestly, you're not looking for an A3. Having driven an X3 at a BMW-sponsored autocross, and a co-workers RX300, you likely won't be disappointed in the X3. For starters the center of gravity is only marginally higher than a 3-series sedan, wheras the RX is about 6" higher than the ES/Camry platform on which it's based. Huge difference in handling ability. The X3 has as much room as an X5 for all intents, so the dogs will be happy. But most importanly,the X3s since '06feel and drive like proper German sedans, and you have the world's greatest inline-6 to power it. I have an ML320 Mercedes, a 325is racecar,and my wife drives a Z4 BMW and I daily drive an A3, so we have a fairly wide swath of German cars to compare.

I've driven almost every Lexus ever built, and have neverfound one yet that had one ounce of soul. They are frightenly bland, if reliable, andthe new IS250 and 350are totally useless for more than2 people. The A3 has 4+" more legroom.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I use to haul my two muts around in Austin Healys and TR6, the A3 is huge compared to them. I actually layed down in the back to see how much room there was. Probably why the dealer never called me back.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

Drive a SAAB and let us know how the two are different.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM

Bezor, Not sure what Saab I would even drive. They are all ugly as far as I'm concerned. A few years back I was interested to see if they were going to take the WRX and turn it into a luxury version, which I would have jumped all over. But all they did was put an ugly nose on it and jack the price up. Just looked through their lineup, and honestly, they might be two of the most unattractive wagons ever!

panzr, I know the wife really liked that X3, but since I spend 99% of my time in the MB now, I conviced her to just keep the RX300 and deal with it. Hell, I had to for the past 2 years. But yesterday I took it to work and God is that truck soulless. It's solid transportation, but it couldn't be less exciting. About 20 minutes in I started thinking about upgrading to an X3 again! As long as I can stay out of that vehicle, I think I'm OK. It's not junk, so she can survive. I did however see a nice looking '04 I think 325xi wagon leaving work on Monday. Hmmm.

And byrun, the A3 is HUGE compared to those cars. I have no idea how you managed with that. And why do people think we're nuts when we get on all 4's and start crawling around in the cargo area? How else can we see if our dogs will be comfy? I always notice that strange look too. Is it really that odd to see a grown man stick his head out of the back window, panting and barking, and pretending the wind is blowing in our jowels???