Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First Drive...Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Default RE: First Drive...Am I Crazy?

HAHA, well the Scuderia definitely wouldn't be my daily driver. But it surely is a perfect car!

Yes, there are things about the A3 I wasn't in love with, but there are things with the C230 I'm not in love with either. What I'm looking for is a cool looking, small luxury wagon with a sporty flair that's both comfortable and fun, and can haul my 2 crazy boxers around while getting 25+mpg. After I trade the RX in, I don't ever want another SUV, so wagon it is. I love the looks of the A3. I love the DSG in the A3. I love the reported mpg in the A3. I love the small cockpit in the A3 (not sure if I've confused people on that somehow). But, I'm not sure if the cargo space is big enough for two 75lb dogs. I know I didn't like the ride in the one I tested which is why I came here. I didn't love the light steering, but that's why I'm looking at '06 models. I really didn't like the fact that there is no memory seat. And there are some quirky choices in the center stack, but nothing I couldn't get used to. The two biggest things I need to figure out is driving position comfort, and ride quality. If anyone can think of any other car that would fit those needs, please let me know. I waited 2 years for the BMW 1 series wagon only to find out that once again, American's don't want small wagons.[:@]

Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: eltonsi
...If you change the shocks to Koni FSD, the ride will be signficantly more comfortable. The steering can also be set heavier with VAGCOM if that's what you like...
I'll know for myself about Koni FSD's when I install them within the next few weeks - every review (Tire Rack's test and many individuals on Fourtitude's forums) makes them sound like miracle shocks. With the stock A3 Sport suspension, I'd describe the ride as slightly harsher then my previous BMW E36 Sport suspension.

Steering boost can be adjusted on '06's with VAG-COM, but not later years (yet?). Premium models apparently have boost set higher (I've heard at "8") then Sports ("5"). I've tried mine set to 3,2,1, and 0, and find that "1" is as very close to the lovely steering feel of my previous '93 325i.

Regarding the dead pedal, I have very long legs for my height and find that the dead pedal feel a bit close, but it is not unusable. I'll have to check out the same part on MT cars to see if there is a difference, or modify the one I've got. OTOH, I have no problem with my right leg against the console brace - I must sit farther back then many others. And yes, the steering wheel adjustments are limited, but I find that full back and full down works just fine.

I raised the front edge of my driver's seat about 3/4" using longer front bolts and spacers - definitely helped the leg room for me. It is now about like the power seat at full "up" at the front for the seat.

Topshelf,
If you really don't use the back seat, then it sounds like the rear seat (bottom) removal noted in this thread would work for you and your dogs. With that change, I'd say that the rear space would be good.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_762825/tm.htm

No turbo lag with mine at 32K. There are situations when the DSG takes a fraction of a second to downshift in D, but it is still faster then I would be with a MT, easily solved by just manually downshifting with the paddle, just like I would if I was using a MT. Or go to "S" mode briefly. This transmission gives delightful options.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

Regarding the proximity of the gas and brake pedals, I think it is something you will get used to if you end up getting an A3. It was very odd for a few days when I first got my A3, but I quickly adjusted. I tend to plant my heal in one spot and kinda pivot my foot from the brake to the gas. I still occasionally clip the side of the brake pedal when going for the gas, but it's not bothersome.

Oh, and I wear size 14 shoes. If I can make it work I think anyone can

Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 PM

Very informative info guys. I can't wait to get another test and find out if this car is for me or not.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Topshelf,

Interesting to read another buyer's buying dilemma! I went through it too.

To help you out a bit on the BMW 1 series...if size in the back seat is a concern to you, and you find the A3 might be a bit tight, you can safely rule out the BMW. I agonized over the BMW 130i or 120d, and finally settled on the A3 TDI. (Based on style, price, DSG, value....hahhaha...nah...the TDI sticks me to the seat and my two babies with their ENORMOUS baby seats can both fit!) The BMW 1, because of its design (narrows substantially towards the rear) and the rear-wheel drive make it very small. For me, the BMW for SURE, and the A3 mostly, are HATCHBACKS! And I don't use that word pejoratively...LOVE the hatch..i meant SPORTback! If you need more space in the back, the A4 avant is about a foot longer in the wagon space, but actual seating is like the A3.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Topshelf-
A few things to consider about the '06 you drove. Many of the '06's and 07's came stock with pirelli P6 tires. There have been many posts on this form on their performance and I can tell you from experience they are awful. I tested an '06 6MT with 15k miles on it and not only was the driver front basically bald (the car must have been abused by the previous owner) but they were the loudest tires I have every driven. The same day I drive a '07 DSG with the continental contact tires and the difference was like night and day. When I ordered my '07 6MT I made sure to insist that the car came with the continental's rather than the prielli's. Might be worth a phone call to the dealer, just to see if that was the rubber that was on the '06.

As for the turbo lag, I havn't notice any in the 15k I've put on my car over the 7 months I've owned it. I did notice that the pick up was a little snappier with the 6MT rather than the DSG as I can control the RPM's a little bit better with the manual. However, in both cars that I've drive, I havnen't noticed any issues with waiting for the turbo to spool up. I don't mean to badmout the DSG however. It was a tough call to get the 6MT, but I just like the shifting experience, makes me feel connected to my car.

As for room, I find it to be just the amount of space I need. I had an '07 A4 loaner while my A3 was getting it's 5k checkup, and that is definatly a bigger more c230 like car. However, it's also a lot heavier, has a longer wheel base and more or less the same powerplant so is slower, not as nimble and IMO less fun to drive. I started the post on pulling out the rear bench. Though I don't have the exact measurements, You would easily be able to fit 2 75lb dogs back there with the rear seat bench out.

When you consider the other "premium" wagons that are available in the US I feel the A3 is the hands down winner. I have traveled to Europe recetly where I saw 5 different wagons that I would sell my A3 for in a heart beat if they were available in the US (see Alfa Romeo, Skoda and Pugeot's latest offerings especially the disel's). However, in the american market, there is the A3, the WRX limited, BMW 3 wagon, A4 avant and thats about it. My A3 was 1k cheaper than the WRX limited I test drove and buried it in the looks and quality department. If you go BMW 3 wagon or A4 avant be prepared to shell out 10k more than an A3, which I wasn't able to. I would say Audi has the only car that fits the bill for the price. Plus much better gas milage than your RX.

Either way, find a car your like and fits your needs. I've had a great experience so far with my A3, but as Chef said they are not for everyone.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate all that info. And that 1 series probably would be smaller than what I'd like, but I just love that short 5 door wagon/hatch look. Like batman said, there is only 1 choice in the premium small wagon market. I looked at the Subi as well. While I liked my previous Subi for it's fun, luxury isn't something that can be said for it. Even the new ones, and it's a real shame too as a loaded Legacy GT is very nice inside. Why they keep the Impreza line so cheap I don't understand. The A4 wagon just doesn't excite me, never been in one so I don't know how nice it is, but I just don't feel it. The 3 Series wagon baffles me to this day. Owners of 325xi wagons rave about them. They supposedly handle like any other smaller 3 series, get great fuel economy and have plenty of cargo room. But dam are they ugly! How can a 2004 BMW 3 series 2/4 door be so sexy and perfectly sculpted, yet the wagon looks overly long, bloated and just overall lame. I just can't bring myself to drive such an uncool looking wagon. Maybe I'm just hard to please.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM

I have a fairly new 2008 A3(S-line, Open Sky, Bluetooth, iPod) and its my first Audi experience. Here is what I have found with the car while owning and test driving.
First its the nicest auto I have owned, period. Everything is extremely well made and the fit and finish on the A3 is very high end. The S-line sport suspension is not "too stiff" IMO, in fact
I think its a happy medium. If you want the extra "soft ride" feeling than I think any sporty suspension will disappoint you. My A3 has no turbo lag to speak of, and the car is very quite overall.
I did however not only test drive a A3 that had turbo lag (distinctive lag upon pressing down gas) but the dealer tried to sell me that car. I passed on that one and got another A3 in same trim.
Currently the A3 has only 500 miles on it, but so far not one complaint. I am not sure if the A3 is for everyone, but I really think its a perfect little package, cant wait till break in is done to see how
it really goes!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM

Interesting about testing one with turbo lag. What's the life span on these turbos? That sounds like exactly what I noticed. I remember pressing the gas pedal and just sitting still. The more I'm reading, the more I believe I really tested one that someone beat to death. It was obvious from the interior/exterior condition that this wasn't his pride and joy. I think it had about 40k miles on it, wonder if all those hard miles added up into what I experienced? I was told he traded that '06 in for an '08 Sline A3. Either way, I'm not going to have an answer to this until my next test drive. I also think it's difficult to explain exactly what I'm looking for in ride quality. When I say I don't want a harsh sport ride, I'm mean like a race car which is what this felt like. But at the same time I don't want it to be soft like my RX300. That's why when I read BMW like ride I was excited as that usually means a perfect compromise between the two. I also have to admit that those Koni FSD's that dfrost linked to where VERY interesting. I honestly can't believe that a premium A3 should have felt like the one I tested, and there's just too many variables to say it was simply the A3 itself. I'm itching to hit a dealership, but I just don't have the time this week, plus the wife wants to be there.

That being said, the ESP on my C230 almost got me into another accident last night. I was entering a circle and the ground was wet, saw an opening, gassed it, the car goes about 8 feet then starts spinning the tires. So what's the logical thing for the ESP to do??? Yep, shut down all power to the engine and brake the rear wheels leaving me at a dead stop in the way of 2 lanes of oncoming traffic.[:@] Simply the worst, most overly sensitive program I've ever seen. It's dangerous! So how's the A3 handle such situations?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

I notice minor turbo lag in my A4. Yea, it sounds like that car got owned. I am lining up a test drive for an A3 3.2 S line (lease is up at the end of April). I cant wait. Dont anticipate it being anywhere near as jarring as the B7 S4 I test drove the other day. Now thats a rough suspesion...

Quick Reply: First Drive...Am I Crazy?