Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

figured out how to carry two labs

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: figured out how to carry two labs

Nice little contraption there buddy!

I have a yellow lab, he's huge. Only 2 yrs old, weighs about 110 lbs.

I have thought about taking him in my A3, since he's a good boy in the car, and just likes to sit and stare out the window. BUT his shedding can be pretty bad this time of year and I dont want all hair all over my car.

Also, his nails get pretty sharp and he would most likely damage my interior by just shifting around in the car.

And not to mention his slobbering when he gets all tired after his hikes up the mountain, and walks at the park. Forget it, I wont let him ride in my A3.

BUT this is the reason why I still kept my 2000 Jeep Wrangler, just for my big yellow lab

Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 PM

this man is a genius! i wasnt scared of cutting my own hand cutting out the plywood.

i have a great dane husky mix and he fits ok in the trunk (he's very lean, 80-85lbs), the issue for me is the height, he's 30inches to the shoulder 35+ to the head.

i guess i will do what dcny did, get myseld o old truck to use for the pooch, trip to tahoe and the occasioanl house project

Old 07-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Ironically, one of the main reasons I wanted a hatchback was specifically to carry large dogs!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: zlguocius

Ironically, one of the main reasons I wanted a hatchback was specifically to carry large dogs!
Same here. 3 dogs (2 large ones), home depot runs, photo equipment, bikes, trips to the beach... just a few of the reasons why I chose a hatchback.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

i've got a dog that refuses to sit on the inclined seat backs. it's not a problem for daily use, since he just sits on a towel on the seats. i'd like to remedy it for trips so cargo can be in the back and he can chill right behind me.

i can't figure out how to remove the bench, either. i got the two ends to pop up, but it wouldn't budge after that... is there a guide to do this somewhere?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

My dogs did not like the back of the seat either, I think it is because the carpet is so short, they could not grip it and ended up scratching everything and sliding around. That's why I did the carpet going up over the seat, they don't cause any damage and the carpet rolls up so all the hair is inside. The nose prints on the windows are a different story!

Home depot will cut the wood for you, just measure a rectangle that fits in and run by a cheap carpet place that sells remnants. I think the wood was only $10 and the carpet was about $45. I measured the spare cover and made the wood about two inches wider, and 1 inch less than the depth so there is room for the carpet. Now since the wood goes all the way to the side of the car there is no weight on the spare cover, so it also does not squeak at every bump with the dogs in.

Next I'm going to figure out how to attach the carpet on the seat back with just a little overhang hanging there when the seats are upright so you don't even see it, but I also don't have to unroll the entire thing up the back of the seats. I'm thinking with velcro or some small black bunjee cords over the headrest, they should slide under it so they would not even show. I'll update the pics if it works out well. I think I can trim the carpet a bit also to give it a more factory look, not any wrinkles in the carpet.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nhobba3

Next I'm going to figure out how to attach the carpet on the seat back with just a little overhang hanging there when the seats are upright so you don't even see it, but I also don't have to unroll the entire thing up the back of the seats. I'm thinking with velcro or some small black bunjee cords over the headrest, they should slide under it so they would not even show. I'll update the pics if it works out well. I think I can trim the carpet a bit also to give it a more factory look, not any wrinkles in the carpet.
Same here... I got the A3 specifically because I was tired of my dog ruining the back of my IS300... Glad I did though (but thats for another post!)

Anyway, in my old car I used to have one of those hammocks very similar to this:
http://www.dogbedworks.com/showprodu...p;ParentCat=35

Anyway for the carpet it would be real easy for you to add two gromments to each side of the carpet at the top then you could just wrap a bungie around the front headrests... I know it would be a little more work when unfolding the seats and prepping the car for the dogs, but I have I used to like how it would prevent the dogs from being nosy and sticking their heads forward (when they aren't out the window of course!)

As for the plywood... that seems like an awesome idea!! Supprisingly though the wheel cover must be stronger than one would think b/c on top of the roaming around the back my guys do... a 110lb'er jumping into the trunk on it hasn't damaged mine yet.

The other great part about this is you could easily screw some sort of organizer to the plywood or setup some sort of divider on one side to prevent everything from sliding around.

[align=center]My favorite part about this by the way is the fact that the easy solution would be to just drive a little more civilized... but that clearly isn't an option for any of us!!
[/align]