Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.
View Poll Results: A poll
2003-2005 Lancer Evolution
33.85%
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

EVO or A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: EVO or A3

Very helpful guys. First 3.2 is a no no, once you go turbo you never go back. Couple of things I wold like some people to clear up.

avant80@2.6: I heard that the A3 does not hold up to its value?

eltonsi: I need some bride or recaros. Comfort to me is be snug in.

smarsenal: Nice comparison. The interior of the REX really killed it for me, cheapplastic. Also the road noise got a little annoying after a while. However, I'm a suspension nut, i love gripping the curve and windy roads. Also the 300hp is the new 200hp now I'm not quite sure if the A3 can stack up. with the competition. The #1 thing that I would like to get away from isthe attention to attract cops. On the A3 how do parts come by from third party? For the suby I had a hard time just finding brake disc at my local auto stores.

thanx all cheers

Old 05-15-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Seems to me the Evo is more for you. It's quite obvious that performance plays a huge factor into your decision. An A3 is no Evo or even a modded WRX. A chipped 2.0T will be close to a stock WRX without AWD.

As for the "once you go turbo you never go back", maybe for you, but not for me.Went from a 2.0T to a 3.2. If you are planning on throwing some money into the car, you can always throw a HPA turbo kit in there and make it faster than an Evo.

As for brake disc availability, it shouldn't be much of a problem, they are all over the internet.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I want to give the A3 a chance. I think because this would be my first euro car I'm being skeptical about all the talk of VW and Audi with electrical problems. ( own Japanese cars all my life) How are the parts compared to the A4 and GTI/GLI are they interchangable? Cheers

Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Evo isn't exactly the most reliable thing on the planet either, though. Honestly I may have just gotten a bad one, but I had more problems with my WRX than I could count. A couple were major reliability issues but most were minor yet extremely annoying. WRX/STi, Evo are pure performance and not much else. The A3 is way more comfortable and better for 90% of my driving.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM

The A3 has balance and refinement. Granted, a well-modded A3 is a blast to drive and handles very well, but it won't beat an EVO. That doesn't matter to me, the car is still a blast to drive in any condition.

Cheers!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wrx112

I want to give the A3 a chance. I think because this would be my first euro car I'm being skeptical about all the talk of VW and Audi with electrical problems. ( own Japanese cars all my life) How are the parts compared to the A4 and GTI/GLI are they interchangable? Cheers
Parts interchangeability is pretty good. Having owned a couple of Japanese cars I can't testify to their so called better reliability. Metal hardness/durability on Japanese cars is substandard to Euro cars. I had door latches break off because of poor design. Paint is not that great on Japanese cars compared to Euro cars, but easily better then American cars. VW is not as reliable as the upscale Audi. Audi uses better parts then VW on same engine. Any car can have electrical problems but not aware of a significant batch of A3's that users compained about that. Very few service notes/recalls concerning A3. The A3 has been a very relaible car!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

I almost forgot to mention that the new Evo (EVO X) is going to be a totally new car from what I described to you. Mitsubishi just released official photos of the new Evo. Due out in the states in January 2008. Early estimated price will likely start around $32,000 for the base model.

http://features.evolutionm.net/newsitem.php?id=109

Pics of the actual Concept X from NAIAS:

http://corelineracing.com/gallery/naias

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

If you are still in high school, by all means get the evo. I mean I like park bench spoilers as much as the next guy, but the damn thing looks like a ricer that just spent his graduation money at pep boys!

For style and comfort albeit with less performance ...Audi.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: smarsenal

I almost forgot to mention that the new Evo (EVO X) is going to be a totally new car from what I described to you. Mitsubishi just released official photos of the new Evo. Due out in the states in January 2008. Early estimated price will likely start around $32,000 for the base model.

http://features.evolutionm.net/newsitem.php?id=109

Pics of the actual Concept X from NAIAS:

http://corelineracing.com/gallery/naias
He's not interested in the new X. If you read his original post, he's looking for a used Evo/A3 06.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

You said you weren't a fan of the cheap looking interior of the WRX. You would be getting an even cheaper interior on an Evo except for some out-of-place looking bucket seats (Recaro I think?). The A3 combines performance with luxury, leather seats seem like they're almost standard, clean finish, and high class looking all with a sleeper touch of performance. If what you're looking for is to make a stupid fast 1/4 drag car for cheap an Evo would be your best bet. If you want an awsome daily driver that will impress pretty much everyone and offers performance, get the A3. I'm assuming you're in your late teens to twenties because Evos tend to attract that age group. Personally I'm strongly against Jap ricers (Evos, STIs) and think they're dumb. I always laugh when my buddy's 13 second 3/4 ton truck is one of the fastest cars at the street races even when the ricers have a 4-5000lbs. advantage.

You will not be disappointed with an audi as it is a great all-round car. I think you would regret the Evo because it really only offers performance and a ridiculously large and retarded spoiler.

Get the A3!!!!!!