Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Dump Valves...Prt 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Dump Valves...Prt 2

Hi everyone,

I have an Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1999

I am looking to get a:

Blow Off Valve(BOV)whichmust be used with Bosch K-Jet injection, as being a closed system, any loss of air for which fuel has already been metered by the movement of the airflow sensor plate, will result in an over-rich condition and possible backfire. A CBV is found on many "OEM" original engine manufactured EFI turbo systems.

or

Compressor BypassValve (CBV) whichis suited to an EFI system that uses a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. As the MAP sensor source is inside the inlet manifold's plenum chamber, relieving air before this with a closed throttle butterfly (throttle lift-off) will not affect running.

THE QUESTIONSARE:

1. Which one would be best suited?

2. Are theyNOT recommend for Audi's, if so why?

I hear/read alot about dump valves/blow off valves (although not the same thing) being GOOD for the 'life' of the turbo, improving performance, minimising turbo lag, and generally being a GOOD thing to invest in!

BUT, on the other side i hear/read alot about them being BAD for Audi's due to their set ups!

I dont wantthe fuel torun rich or have to much air intake !!!

Is it a sensible idea, suggestions and opinions very welcome, im baffled!

Thanks a million people!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dump Valves...Prt 2

look into FORGE DV's. They have an atmospheric BOV spacer that is adjustable [full blow off, partial blow off with partial recirculation, or full recirculation]. The oem dv has been known to tear, mainly after chipping. I believe a company is doing a special on another forum for them. Many people have them, and I myself am looking into purchasing one.

good luck

Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

When you say "tear" do you mean the factory fitted DV "breaks"?

Could you post the link to some websites/forums, iv searched hundreds!

Cheers for the replt mate!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM

It's a little different on the 1.8T's, opposed to the 2.0T's. You'll get a good response from Dave in the UK soon. He's probably better equipped to give you advice rather than us stupid Americans. LOL

You can do a lot of research on the A4 forum since that engine was most prevelant in that car for the US. Many good threads on that engine mod there.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 AM
2nd Gear

The 1.8T uses a recirculating system, just like the 2.0T. Generally, blowing off boost to the atmosphere is frowned on for these engines. If you blow off to atmosphere, the car is still expecting that surge of air and will run rich for a second every time your BOV dumps. This will cause a check engine code, and after a long period of time the rich condition will start giving you problems (i.e. premature failure of the catalytic converter). If you want to run a blow off valve, try to find one that has a recirculating kit available. HKS offers a recirculating kit for their super sequential BOV.

A compressor bypass valve is the same thing as a diverter valve. It releases the pressure back into the intake system on the non-pressurized side. Forge makes decent diverter valves for our cars, I'm positive that they have a kit for the 1.8T.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Thank you all so much for your replies!

Could someone send me some links to where they are being sold, or any where with more info?

This is very much appreciated!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Is this suitable for my Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1999

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMCL007P

THANKS EVERYONE

Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, that one will work. The instructions on that page should apply to your car as well, since the A3 and TT are based on the same platform.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, abit of a newbie question now!

Will the above dump valve (http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMCL007P ) make the whootuushh sound as the air is released?

Or any sound at all?

Old 12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, the sound will be louder than you stock DV. It will also be more audible if you have an aftermarket intake. It's not going to be as loud as an atmospheric blow off like all the ricers have, nor will it whistle.

Quick Reply: Dump Valves...Prt 2