Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Before I take the dive....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Before I take the dive....

Currently I am looking a few different used A3s either 07s or 06s and before I commit I wanted to know what to expect in terms of cost of maintenance per year to keep this car rolling. Im currently driving a ford escape and up until a few weeks ago havent had anything go wrong. I know the warranty covers some things and all cars are different but in general what should I be looking at in terms of upkeep? Another question. If anything does go wrong can i fix it myself (including oil changes and the like)if i get the parts without voiding the warranty or have I been told the wrong thing? I know this may sound strange and a really dumb question but I have been told some dumb things. Thanks in advance.

Brad

Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Before I take the dive....

ORIGINAL: bmanncsus

Currently I am looking a few different used A3s either 07s or 06s and before I commit I wanted to know what to expect in terms of cost of maintenance per year to keep this car rolling. Im currently driving a ford escape and up until a few weeks ago havent had anything go wrong. I know the warranty covers some things and all cars are different but in general what should I be looking at in terms of upkeep? Another question. If anything does go wrong can i fix it myself (including oil changes and the like)if i get the parts without voiding the warranty or have I been told the wrong thing? I know this may sound strange and a really dumb question but I have been told some dumb things. Thanks in advance.

Brad
I bought an 06 A3 2.0T. I just had my AC fixed and the 35K service performed. All of this was covered under waranty.

I also was talking to the service guy and he explained that modding will only affect the waranty if the mod is directly responsible for the repair. For example, if you get it chipped and your turbo goes then it won't be covered (chipping increases the boost levels). Wait I just re read your post and you aren't talking about mods are you[&:]? Not too sure about home repairs and how that affects waranty. Quick question, why work on your car when you can have someone else do it for free while you enjoy some spirited driving with their loaner cars?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM

If you find a 2006, the maintenance is covered for the 5, 15, 25, 35, 45 services. For 2007, if the original owner purchased the maintenance package, ~$550, the vehicle will be covered for the same maitenance intervals (should be transferable). This maintenance covers similar items all vehicles do if you have ever followed a cars recommended service intervals. The vehicle warranty is for 50k and covers most non-wear and tear items.

Cost of Maintenace Per Year? I am approaching my first paid service, so there is no way for me to give you an estimate on annual costs. I have budgeted $1200 per year, based on my past experiences plus a premium (I know Audi service costs will be higher than past cars). I am now deliberating on whether to use the dealership for my services, because I know I can save 20-60% on maintenance labor costs using a non-Audi shop.

Doing basic maintenance youself, i.e. oil changes, topping of fluids, wiper blades, etc., should not void the warranty, if you are using oem parts. If you use non-oem parts and this non-oem part causes other problems, then yes, the warranty for this part, and any other systems damaged because of this part, could be voided (some dealerships will over look certain items, some will not).

I hope I have answered some of your questions.

Scott

Old 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Thank guys. So basically while its under warranty and none of my mods caused a problem im covered? Will i just have to pay for the service or just the parts, both or none during the warranty time? I know this sounds dumb but i am just trying to understand my car hasnt been under warranty and i havent had any problem that i have had to take to the dealer and plus its a ford so its a little different. Thanks for being patient with me.

Brad

Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

If you can find a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car, then many parts of the A3 are warranteed for 6 years/100,000 miles.There is a cost premium for CPO, but it was reasonable for mine.

And as stated previously, all 2006 A3's have free maintenance up to 50,000 miles. But note that those services are only covered at 10K intervals, while the oil (at least in a 2.0T) should be changed more often. I do the intermediate 5K changes myself. BTW, Blacksone Labs analyzed my last 5K change (Mobil 1 0W-40, used by the dealer and me) and they suggested that I could extend the oil change interval to 6250 miles. Note - not 10K miles!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Nice thanks for clearing that up for me dfrost... Yeah I saw a lot of people talking about changing the oil and how long they wait to do it. Currently i try to change mine every 3-5k i havent sent it in or anything but it doesnt hurt to just change it except a little time and money. Thanks again

Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Yes, as long as the mods did not cause the problem you should be covered. Whatever the service costs, labor and parts, is what you pay. If it is warranty work, everything should be covered. If you have no problems, then all you pay are the service costs. The 5k, 35k, 65k, I believe are just oil changes, so you can save money by doing those yourself. If you buy one, look at the maintenance manual to see what services you feel you can do yourself.

Scott

Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I only know how to do the fluids and filters. But my neighbor has a full lift and all the tools you could need. So im hoping he could help me with some stuff.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bmanncsus
Currently i try to change mine every 3-5k i havent sent it in or anything but it doesnt hurt to just change it except a little time and money.
By all opinions, including auto journalists and my afore-mentioned lab test, if you're changing synthetic oil every 3K, then you are throwing away good oil.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

its not synthetic oil. But I understand. Ill do some more research and look into the lab testing. Thanks

Quick Reply: Before I take the dive....