Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 Squeaky Brakes

My A3 had squeaky breaks from early on. Probably about 1k in. But really only when braking on downhill slopes and its got more weight on them with gravity pulling down. Kind of annoying, but planning on upgrading soon when i get back home.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

brodieone - what do you mean by upgrading - car or brake??? Because there is no solution to the noisy brake problem - which Audi has acknowledged. But if you have heard something different please post it here!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Just got my car back from maintenance on Friday; they advised doing 2 things: 1) find an empty parking lot or road and brake hard a couple of times from 35mph to wear glaze off the brake pads, and 2) power wash the brakes to rinse away excess dust.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Aceface3,

That is terrible. And if your car is so loud that pedestrians cover their ears it is TOTALLY unacceptable and NOT an Audi wide problem. That is simply outrageously terrible, and my A3 brakes DO NOT squeak, never have. They "moan" when the parking brake is applied and I shift heavy objects, but they do not make a sound when using them on the road.

Take the advice of other posts in the list...cream your brakes a few time without coming to a full-stop...it really keeps brakes 'tight'

As for upgrading, just upgrade the brakes. They are a system like any other on the car, and you can get some pretty sweet aftermarket setups that can put a bruise on your shoulder from the restraint! They are costly though and obviously you need a trustworthy shop to install them. However, like I said above, that type of problem is absolutely NOT normal. Push Audi harder on a better fix, try the brake 'break-ins' here, and perhaps consider how you drive the car a bit more. I loaned a car to my wife and it got squeaky after her driving it for a couple of months. I took it back and showed the brakes what they are there for, and after a couple of days, no more squeaky!

Good luck, hope you get some quiet brakes soon!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

TPE_A3 -
Thanks for your concern and advice and I'm happy for you that you haven't had this problem. I have creamed the brakes many times - it was the advice i was given after the first visit -my attitude for a $35k car is that no one should have to do any type of maintenance with their vehicle, especially within the first 10k miles. After the 3rd deglazing i was able to go 48 hrs (which is longer than the previous 2 deglazings) before a noticeable brake noise is back. It's not quite at the level of having to "cover the ears" but it's there.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

I was speaking of whole new setups. either porsche or brembos. not just to take care of the squeaks, but that is a plus

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

AceFace,

On the maintenance front...I somewhat agree with you but it's not a reality. I was thinking about maintenance when I was deciding between an A3 and a Lexus IS 250. The lexus is "buy and forget", maintenance seems optional with them. Audi, not quite the same, but when you drive the car, thankfully, it's not quite the same as driving other cars, so I'm willing to suffer a little inconvenience to get the joy of our cars. BUT...what I'm telling you is that the squeaky brakes as you have described are NOT normal. 2 weeks ago, I was out with a group of 11 A3s, and not one squeaked. If it keeps happening after they clean them, to me, it seems they ought to change them, and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I would do as brodieone suggests...upgrade to some brembos or AP Racing, have better stopping power and peace and quiet. Fight the dealer AceFace or go quietly to a professional shop and get some upgrades done. But I hear you, one should not have to upgrade brakes on an expensive car to avoid squeaks! Hope it works out for you!!