Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 - oil consumption

This may be a stupid question but how do you know how much oil has been consumed. My dip shows exaclty halfway btwn min and max at 3500 miles. How can I tell how much has been consumed?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:05 AM
2nd Gear

I just changed my oil at 10k miles. I followed all of the recommended break-in procedures and I am not burning any noticeable amount of oil. I do drive it hard every day and, if I am burning any oil, it is less than 1/4 of a quart. Last oil change was at 5k.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: brodieone

This may be a stupid question but how do you know how much oil has been consumed. My dip shows exaclty halfway btwn min and max at 3500 miles. How can I tell how much has been consumed?
Usually, the min to maxgrid on the dipstick represents 1 liter of oil.

Cheers!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM
L7
1st Gear

Hey Chef;
For us Americans - don't you mean 1.05 quarts?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM

LOL

Yeah, 1 liter or 1 quart, take your pick.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Just hit 30K on my 06 A3 2.0T. I'm having the same problem with excessive oil consumption. My oil light came on this weekend and when I checked the dipstick it was dry. I called the dealer to report the problem and make an appointment to bring the car in. They acted very concerned and said to "plan on leaving the car" for a few days. I think Audi knows what the problem withthis particular engineis and doesn't want to publicize it. More to follow....

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Wanted to add my info. My 2006 A3 2.0 T is burning oil at 1 Qt every 1600 miles!

I even had the dealer change the oil (which I paid $$$ for) at 10,000 and 20,000 mile intervals (ontop of the other oil changing intervals). It now has 23,000 miles on it, and Audi is giving me the "we have to perform an oil consumption test" Which I was lead to believe they did last time I was in.

High compression or not... there is no way an engine should be burning oil that fast!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Having two other Turbo charged 4 cylinder engines, (1 Subaru and 1 Saab) I can say I experienced very little oil consumption from both. I do not have the Audi yet but if I run into anything out of the norm I will let you know.

I would be interested to know how these oil consuming engines were initially broken in?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: chifanpoe

Having two other Turbo charged 4 cylinder engines, (1 Subaru and 1 Saab) I can say I experienced very little oil consumption from both. I do not have the Audi yet but if I run into anything out of the norm I will let you know.

I would be interested to know how these oil consuming engines were initially broken in?
This is my 6th turbocharged car...I just bought it with 65k miles and the previous owner alerted me that it goes through a quart about every 5k miles. That does not alarm me, as long as it stays around there. Even the owner's manual advises that this is not atypical or necessarily cause for alarm. Perhaps it is notable that the only other of those turbo cars I owned that consumed oil was an '86 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo). It went through about a quart every 2-3k miles. The dealer did a compression test and said it was fine and not to worry about it; just keep adding as needed. I had also heard that the reason that car did that was due to the cylinder lining being made of silicon-impregnated aluminum, rather than cast iron, like most other cars, so it requires iron-coating in the pistons, which has a looser tolerance to the cylinder wall when cold. The 2.0T has an iron black, AFAIK, so perhaps it's just a German turbo thing :P.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: chifanpoe

I am also interested in this. I read this same issue on other Audi forums about the 2.0T. Yet there is never any word of how the engines were broken in. Since there seems to be some with the problem and others without it I would tend to think that maybe those without the issue broke their engines in a little more carefully? Not sure if this type of correlation has been made yet...

Quick Reply: A3 - oil consumption