Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 - oil consumption

So far mine is not burning any oil. I got a 2007 A3 2.0t with 6MT about three weeks. ago. I just rolled over 3400 miles yesterday (yes, I drive a lot), and the oil is still at the max level on the dipstick. I check this every gas up or at least every other one, but so far no oil usage.

Is this something that perhaps does not happen as much on the newer cars or does it burn more with age?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Actually, it's just the opposite. You should be using more oil in the beginning, until all of the seals are set, then the consumption should go down some. My car was like yours, almost perfectly full for the first 4k miles, then I lost a whole quart on the last 1k miles before the oil change. I go through about 1/2 to 1 quart every 5k miles. It just so happens that I change my oil every 5k miles anyway, so I've never really had to top off the fluid. When it gets a little low, then it's usually time for a change. BTW, I have 25k miles on my car at this point.

Another thing that I was taught many years ago with a turbo was to "drive it like you stole it". It basically means that your turbo needs to be worked out regularly to stay in good working order. Bring the car to redline at least once every time you drive it, but obviously wait until the engine is warm. This will keep carbon from building up on the turbo propellers, help push excess oil out of the intercooler, and generally keep all of the pathways clear and flowing well. Consider it like exercising your heart to keep your body healthy. AND, I've never had a turbo fail ever on any of my cars.

Cheers!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Thats interesting chef....
i'd like to hear what others's opinions on this are. . .
its an interesting theory and im not throwing it away... but i do doubt it some....

opinions??

ORIGINAL: Chef

Actually, it's just the opposite. You should be using more oil in the beginning, until all of the seals are set, then the consumption should go down some. My car was like yours, almost perfectly full for the first 4k miles, then I lost a whole quart on the last 1k miles before the oil change. I go through about 1/2 to 1 quart every 5k miles. It just so happens that I change my oil every 5k miles anyway, so I've never really had to top off the fluid. When it gets a little low, then it's usually time for a change. BTW, I have 25k miles on my car at this point.

Another thing that I was taught many years ago with a turbo was to "drive it like you stole it". It basically means that your turbo needs to be worked out regularly to stay in good working order. Bring the car to redline at least once every time you drive it, but obviously wait until the engine is warm. This will keep carbon from building up on the turbo propellers, help push excess oil out of the intercooler, and generally keep all of the pathways clear and flowing well. Consider it like exercising your heart to keep your body healthy. AND, I've never had a turbo fail ever on any of my cars.

Cheers!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 PM

What?!?

You don't blindly believe everything I say?!?

How dare you!!!

[sm=icon_beat.gif]

LOL

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

the turbo in the A3 is small, and oil cooled. I can understand how redlining the engine helps to burn crud out of it, I have always been a believer in running the engine hard sometimes to heat it up and burn crud not just from the engine, but also from the turbo.

My only other advice is if you just finished driving the car hard and are parking it, let the engine idle for 30 seconds or so. If you kill the engine while the turbo is still spinning at high speed, it loses oil flow and the oil in the bearing will overheat and solidify, called coking. After too much of this you need a new turbo. This is not as big a deal here and our turbos are small so they slow down fairly rapidly, but it should still help.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Yep, very true. We also have a coolant lines which help to reduce the temperature of the turbo, but it definitely needs to cool after working hard.

Cheers!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Chef, I came home worried tonight after the oil light came on. The prior owner had the 15,000 mile servie done at 11,000 for me prior to purchase. I now have 14,800 on it and I had to at 2qts to it.

It was just at the dealer a month ago for electrical work. It seems that rabbits/rodents like the sheathing on the wires nd they didn't mention it. I will call an independent and the dealer tomorrow to get their take on it. I have to admit my last series of Jeeps (v8's) only used oil when I ran them really hard, it does not suprise me that these use some too. I don't beat mine up but I am spirited.

Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 PM

So where do you folks find the oil to top up? Didn't find any at my local PepBoys that meet the standard specified in the owners manual. One dealer grudgingly gave me 1 quart, the other said "bring it in and we'll top it up for you".

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear

That's garbage. If I'm driving and the low oil comes on, I wouldn't want to have to find time to go to the dealer! I'm stopping ASAP to top that off.

As for finding the right oil, I just bought some a couple days ago. After visiting Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, and Autozone I have only seen one 5w-40, it was Castrol synthetic. I did also see Mobil 1 and Valvoline synthetics in 0w-40 that said they meet the VW/Audi 502.00 spec. You can also buy Pentosin 5w-40 (German, I think?) in quarts and jugs from ECS. Never hurts to keep some around, even if you don't need it at the moment.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

a3insf,

Found both Castrol Syntec and Mobile 1 at my local Pepboys in Denver maybe you could try Kragen, Schucks, Checker (whatever its called in your neck of the woods). The dealer is using Castrol and my other Audi mechanic who is servicing my ride in between the dealers outragous 10k service is a Mobile 1 fan.

Later

Quick Reply: A3 - oil consumption