Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Default RE: A3 - oil consumption

Below, is my post from a couple months back:

My oil consumption has gotten better with time, from my 0 to 5k I had to add about a quart, 5k to 15k about a quart & half, 15k to 21k 1/2 quart.

On another forum, the reasoning why the 2.0T burns more oil than say the 1.8T, is the the pcv hose???(I will find the post and be more exact later) is relatively short on the 2.0T versus the 1.8T hose which is considerably longer . . . .I can't find the post, I will look later, remind me, I have beenvery busy at work, tia.

Found it, from crew217 on Fourtitude:

"Ok, I'll say it here and now, the 2.0t will burn some oil and it is completely normal.

Unlike the 1.8t, the PCV tract on the 2.0t is designed to be much shorter. For instance, it is a mere 7-9" of tubing from the valve cover to the intake manifold whereas the 1.8t, it was probably closer to 24-30" of tract. The amount of oil vapors coming out of the PCV is significant and can be easily exacerbated by someone who drives primarily in the middle to upper RPMs.

Also, our turbos use sleeve bearings which are dependant on oil film providing lubrication and stability to the bearing. A little oil will always leak from the turbo itself.
IMO, anything under 2 qts/5k is normal. VW/Audi requires 1qt/1k before they'll do anything about it."

This is the most logical explanation that I have read. [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 03-31-2007, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: rich1068

My two previous 1.8T's both liked oil as does my 2.0T FSI. No leaks, no problems.

In case anyone is interested I've gone through nearly 2 litres in 12k miles and 8 months.
My 1.8T didn't use much oil at all. That is why I was suprized that the 2.0 did. My 1.8t had 80,000 miles when I sold it and it burned way less oil than my A3 at 12000 miles. I can't speak for anyone else, but I check my oil almost every fill up, so it isn't a matter of being lazy. It is the first car I have owned in the last 20 years that has used this much oil. If Audi came right out and said that this is normal than that is one thing, but first I was told it shouldn't burn any oil. This kind of feedback from audi service causes lots of confussion, which is probably why so many people are wondering about this on this forum. And by the way, I have a friend that bought a rs4 about 6 months ago, and it uses less oil than the A3, so I guess not all high performace cars burn oil.
Anyway,
thanks for all the feedback.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

just curious, has anyone noticed any changes n oil usage after chipping? It makes sense to me that the extra oil being burned could be caused by making the turbo spin faster and work harder. With a jump in boost as signifigant as the chips create, the turbo must be working considerably harder and getting signifigantly hotter. More heat could burn more oil, etc... If this is the case then Audi definately is not responsible for the oil burning since the chip is running the car out of spec. My car is still brand new and with ~7500 miles on the car and 2500 on this oil change i've noticed its down half to 2/3rds of a quart.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Turbo cars use more oil, that's just a way of life.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM

I am having the same problem... my oil light had came on twice already... the same song and dance... The German superior engineering... BS... We had owned BMWs before... no oil consumption... I know that they use oil as lubricant for the Turbo... just like the aircraft engines... but that is about it... by the way... the aircraft engine is 60+ years technology... my O-320 certainly does not consume any oil like my Audi... They use the oil consumpton clause as CYA... no excuses... serviced at 5K... oil light on at 10K... crappy dealer service (Mission Viejo, CA)... service again at 15K... at 18K the oil light comes on... called dealer... you know the rest... this will be the first andLAST Audi I will ever own in my life... its back to Lexus for me... The service and attitudeat some dealership should be included in some horror films...I could have gotten the samelousy servicefrom Toyota or Honda and still save 2Kthey sock you withforthe privilege of "Joining the exclusive club of Audi" and their magazine... I have never visited any dealershipfor the cars that I had owned... within 1 year I visited Audi dealer 6 times for repairs/services... I curse the car company everyday as I get into my car... I want to let it be known that till the end of my days... there will be nothing but vindictive and vengeful words for the car company when Audi/VW comes into conversation...

Good luck with your cars... I am not...

Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

You rant isn't helping you at all, we all try to help, but if the local dealer fails to remedy the oil leak then you should be calling AudiUSA to describe/complain what you have been thorough.

The dealer should be able to fix this problem, if not then they owe you a new car (California Lemon Law). Have you taken this A3 to another dealer since it’s under power train warranty to have someone else inspect/service it?

If you had read the first part of this message you would have seen that the creation date is June 30, 2004 and that only the European A3 FSI's was discussed at that time. Weird that various users read this message chain over the last three years and commented to it occasionally?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: twu111

I am having the same problem... my oil light had came on twice already... the same song and dance... The German superior engineering... BS... We had owned BMWs before... no oil consumption... I know that they use oil as lubricant for the Turbo... just like the aircraft engines... but that is about it... by the way... the aircraft engine is 60+ years technology... my O-320 certainly does not consume any oil like my Audi... They use the oil consumpton clause as CYA... no excuses... serviced at 5K... oil light on at 10K... crappy dealer service (Mission Viejo, CA)... service again at 15K... at 18K the oil light comes on... called dealer... you know the rest... this will be the first andLAST Audi I will ever own in my life... its back to Lexus for me... The service and attitudeat some dealership should be included in some horror films...I could have gotten the samelousy servicefrom Toyota or Honda and still save 2Kthey sock you withforthe privilege of "Joining the exclusive club of Audi" and their magazine... I have never visited any dealershipfor the cars that I had owned... within 1 year I visited Audi dealer 6 times for repairs/services... I curse the car company everyday as I get into my car... I want to let it be known that till the end of my days... there will be nothing but vindictive and vengeful words for the car company when Audi/VW comes into conversation...

Good luck with your cars... I am not...

Good bye!

Personally, you shouldn't even own a German, turbo-powered, car if you're not checking the oil for over 5k miles. DUDE, these cars need maintanence and upkeep, not a Japanese forget about it and drive attitude. Do yourself a favor and go back to Japanese and be happy. It is perfectly normal for these engines to use oil as many have described. Learn to pay attention to your car or sell it to someone who will.

Cheers!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 AM

well spoken chef

Old 05-27-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

I had an oil consumption problem as well but in my case, there was no or little oil in my car. The dip stick had a scent of gasoline in it meaning that there was a seal problem and I was burning gas and oil. Misfiring and excessive reving resulted in my car being towed in. All this with 6,000K just after my 15,000K service. There was condensation in oil caps and breather ports. The Tech had to contact their Tech line to solve the problem There as a coil problem and they needed to replace all coils and breather valves. Ive been returning to the dealership every 1,000K to have the oil level checked. Everything seems ok now but well see..... Oh yeah, It's all under the warrenty so atleast that's good.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

Everywhere I've read, and in speaking with my dealer, this is a common problem. The car does run rich, most aftermarket tuners take advantage of this in the reprogrammed engine management software reflash. A quick look at your tail pipes will show where the oil is going...

At 4,500 miles, I checked mine after all the reading I did, and yeah, it was a 1/2 quart low. I've simply bought a few bottles of oil and keep 'em stashed in the garage. Just like I check my air and my washer fluid, I check my oil. No big deal, but annoying if you aren't use to it.

BTW: Someone mentioned BMW in this thread. Yeah, no, my E46 is very good at maintaining it's oil. It's never black when I change it, and it's never low. Good thing the oil is the same between the A3 and the E46.

Quick Reply: A3 - oil consumption