Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Default RE: A3 - oil consumption

Just to update

Audi UK contacted me, they're dealing with it & said to take it back to dealer in 3 mths if still using oil, I must add that I'm pleased with the way they've dealt with the enquiry so far.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:16 AM

Yeah !

Got an 06 A3 .... Right there with ya on the oil consumption. It's frustrating that Audi does this to people.

Mine only has 17,000 miles .... and I've had the oil light go on between oil changes because it lost so much.
It's about 1/4 to 1/3 Quart in 1,000/miles !!!

Dealer has given me 4 different stories as to what is "normal".

They say it's normal. I have only begun to fight ... and research. It should not be doing this. I would be happy
if they would just show me the technical specification as proof that this is "normal."

Question ::: Does your exhaust have heavy soot deposits as well ???

Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

I had oil changed at 5000 miles and next oil change it suposed to be at 15.000 miles . But few days ago i had the car washed and cleaned and i checked the oil level and was below minimum (i have now 12.000 miles). U guys think that's something normal for an 2006 A3 2.0tfsi ? Next day i got the car at the dealer and they fill my oil back... without questions asked.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 AM

I am having the same problem. I lose about 1 quart every 5,000 miles. I've had the oil light come on twice. This seems extremely high, especially with today's technology. Audi tells me it's normal, but I think it's a design or manufacturing flaw.
Have you gotten anywhere with Audi?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

i've read that SOME oil consumption is normal due to the high compression of the engine...

Old 03-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi
Wondering if you can help... I've just registered to this and I'm not so surehow it works....
the reson that I've found myself here is that I've had a similar situation with my A3 I had athe regular servicing done at 8000kl but as I was driivng the other day the oil light came on.... i have 15000kl they tell me that this is normal but I've never owned a car where I have to montitor the oil so closely... not cool... it's a new vehicle!!

thoughts... comments???? i'm calling Audi Canada to get a final answer... I'll let you know

Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Stop being lazy, guys. It's not a BIG deal. Read your owner's manual again. Every high performance engine burns oil.

Just check your oil every time you fill up... takes about what, 30 seconds?

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about every time you fill up but generally what he ^^^^^ said.

These engines use oil. Fact.

Why else would they give you a litre when you buy the car?

And saying that just because they're German/VAG they shouldn't use oil isplain daft. My two previous 1.8T's both liked oil as does my 2.0T FSI. No leaks, no problems.

In case anyone is interested I've gone through nearly 2 litres in 12k miles and 8 months.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rich1068

I don't know about every time you fill up but generally what he ^^^^^ said.
Yeah, i was going with the manual recommended interval.

Every owner manual you will probably read, in almost every car, will tell you that just because the engine is new, it is no excuse not to check the oil.

BMWs especially were notorious for burning lots of it.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Hello,
I have a 2006 A3, 2.0T with the manual six speed trans. I am going through a quart of oil about every 2500 - 3000 miles. At first I was told by the serviec guys it shouldn't use any oil, then they said it was normal. I don't really know as I am not an audi engineer, but it seems a little excessive. Although it is a high revving engine and I find myself shifting at the 6000 rpm range more often than not. It will be interesting to see were this all leads as I haven't noticed any performance problems as of yet. You would think it would start to effect the performance if it were abnormal. I have to wonder however were that oil is going, is it blowing by the rings? Anyways, if anyone hears a real answer from a reliable source, (preferably audi and not a dealer service guy) than please post it.
Prost!
Billy Y.

Quick Reply: A3 - oil consumption