Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile

ORIGINAL: eltonsi
Bet it was the same guy who drove oddgy friend's EVO.
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]- lmao - as we say touché

added ---
JohnS1 – I am not a mechanic but I know you are right, I would not have assumed that the NA would have lost so much. It does put the video in perspective and it makes some sort of sense on why the 2.0T could just catch up so fast.
BTW, my understanding is that the turbo also loose power (much less, agreed) and the problem is in the speed of the turbo fan which needs to run faster which with more altitude and no alteration could create some issues.

I learned something today; I will only race with my stock A3 against NA and at high altitude. I am moving to Colorado!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier
added ---
JohnS1 – I am not a mechanic but I know you are right, I would not have assumed that the NA would have lost so much. It does put the video in perspective and it makes some sort of sense on why the 2.0T could just catch up so fast.
BTW, my understanding is that the turbo also loose power (much less, agreed) and the problem is in the speed of the turbo fan which needs to run faster which with more altitude and no alteration could create some issues.

I learned something today; I will only race with my stock A3 against NA and at high altitude. I am moving to Colorado!
Thanks Olivier.
FYI did you guys know that Air Density decreases at a rate of 2.9% - 3.0% for each 1000 ft. of elevation above Sea Level. Your right the turbo also looses power, but it compensates for the decreased atmospheric pressure with the addition of so much boost resulting in a more modest performance loss at higher altitudes. I saw one calculation for a turbo running at 9000 ft elevation that showed a 16.3% loss of operating pressure to engine.
Yes I agree, the turbo has to spin faster and faster to compensate to maintain constant boost at very high altitudes resulting in slower acceleration, and decreased efficiency. Now something they do in Colorado at +4000 ft elevation is sell lower octane gas at high altitudes because your car won't require as much octane to avoid knock!
Now for the races at 1500 meters! (4921 ft)![sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

JohnS1 has the right story, including the 91 octane gas here in Colorado! Turbos require the best maintenance here due to the extra duty they perform.
Oliver when you are ready to run in Colorado, let me know and I'll have the A3 3.2 out and waiting for you.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

cwdilg - so if I prepare my 2.0T right and we race in Colorado at high altitude in dry weather, I can whoop your little V6 snotty (j/k ) a$$ ????

I do miss the Alps and never been to Colorado... Humpf.... ***** Zen like meditation *****

Sounds tempting... Let’s see my shopping list, Race Coils, Sway bar,CAI, racing brakes, APR DP & Exhaust, APR or Revo ECU III and a little GT28RS turbo… Give me $10K and 10 weeks and we can finally meet!

Then I can finish the race at the beach in CA and take care of an Irish chef who needs French lessons...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Yes, I understand that the altitude will help. But we are talking about an 80hp difference. And aside from that, the main issue I see with the A3 is grip. FWD (with stock P6?)vs RWD on a drag strip? It just doesn't happen. If they A3 was chipped with better tires, I could totally believe it.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Hmmm...I haveall of the performance modson that list but one, so make sure you get the Big Turbo Olivier, or you will definitely lose. You know that the French suck at driving so you'll need all the extra horsepower you can get.[:-]

Bring it on baby!!!

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

JohnS1 - I did not want to die stupid so I tried to get some info on this and apparently at 5000 feet, the loss to a turbo is minimum, the loss to a NA can be around 5% per 1000 feet, let’s assume a 25% loss, the 350Z would still deliver more power/torque, lighter, better grip as pointed by eltonsi and that is even before considering the mods on the 350Z - minor but still compared to a stock 2.0T... Am I still going to die stupidor does that make some sort of sense?

Chef - it is so easy to entice you... Not certain if it is the Irish in you, the American in you, the mods or maybe just a driver thing. Probably all the above for you!!! Remember the French suck at war, we will get your woman while you go battling and see who wins in the end!!!!

--- added for chef ---
Furthermore, I am also German and I do believe that we (as German) have a better reputation than we (as French) do insofar than driving is concerned (although Prost has done well and Auriol was not too bad in rallies and we now have Loeb). So between we (ze German) and we (le French) will win and kick some Irish (you) behind -have a nice day [sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

i see the video and i still don't believe it. How can a stock A3 beat a 350z?? 350z is lighter and has loads more power.
bad driver? Must be the damn tequila...
Bet it was the same guy who drove oddgy friend's EVO.

I also own a G35, and no way can a stock A3 come close to it.

Well believe it...I have also raced Mustang GT's and the automatics are slower than me and the manuals are same or a .1 second faster than me

Other on the list:
2007 Eclipse GT's
2007 Bmw 330
Mustang GT's
2006 mercedes benz cls600
2007 Charger R/T
2006 Dodge Ram Daytona

Im not saying those cars are slow (I would love to own any of them...not so sure about the eclipse)but at this altitude I have beat themand im stock (DSG)

Oh and dont worry, I could assure youtequila had nothing to see with that races...

If you read my post you could see that the Z had at that time a 20" rims wich make him slower...I raced him last weekend at the dragstrip without them and he did less time but I still beat him

Old 06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I understand that the altitude will help. But we are talking about an 80hp difference. And aside from that, the main issue I see with the A3 is grip. FWD (with stock P6?)vs RWD on a drag strip? It just doesn't happen. If they A3 was chipped with better tires, I could totally believe it.

I understand you, most of the guys I raced at the dragstrip had a hard time accepting that fact, im STOCK, the altitude has a lot of effect on the N/A

PD: I have dunlop tires, they are great

Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Olivier, so do I call you a Frerman or a Gerench?

BTW, I have my Konis finally on their way and should be installed next week. Are we still interested in the stock suspension? It wasn't on your $10k mod list so I thought that I'd check again.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile