Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input

might want to read some reviews of that Zune...it ain't doin' so hot...

Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Yeah I have to agree, of course I am bias and really love the Ipod. Ipod is already proven and has several generations of improvement/refinement. If you have not owned an MP3 player, I would recommend an Ipod. I have three! New technology is always prone to issues, my first ipod (40G bought in 2002) has no battery life left but they have improved greatly since then. It serves as my home based system - basically have to keep it charged all the time. Not that this wil necessarily happen to you. All others since then have been great on battery life. The aux jack is the same on the Zune or Ipod. There are a whole lot more options for the Ipod connection to your car as well like Scalz said....my $0.02 good luck

Old 11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, I been lazy to post a reply but I'll do so now.

There is NO aux in on the factory radio (concert II, RNS-E, symphony). The only solution to get aux in is to buy an IPOD adapter that has an additional line in. Or, if you have some electrical knowledge, you can hack the CDC port to use its audio inputs while somehow sending a signal to the radio to think it has a CDC in it. Now with the Zune, all you will get is and audio connection, to navigate your playlists and songs you'll have to physically pick up the MP3 player and select what you want (not safe). ALso, I highly doubt audi or any other 3rd party will manufacture an adapter of some sorts any time soon. Granted the current IPOD adapters suck as well since they do not show song title/artist on the radio but at least switching playlists and songs can be done on the headunit or steering wheel controls. Of course if you really need to see whats happening on the IPOD you can always do the I-Tray mod

Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for not being lazy and posting that very constructive reply! BTW I love that "iTray"

So now that you've basically clarified everything for me, would this work: http://www.densionusa.com/dice_prod_info.php ?

In the picture on the site it shows that it has both an iPod connector and an "AUX Audio Source". The reason I want to know is because I stopped by "Al & Ed's Autosound" here in Burbank, California and asked them if they could add the DICE module to give me an AUX port and the guy said "The modules for the A3 do not have an AUX jack on them, only an iPod connect. I can hook you up with an FM Transmitter though."

Of course, I do not want the FM Transmitter, so I walked out feeling all hopeless. But I'm checking the website again and it's all in this picture:

So I just want to make sure that I will have an AUX jack if I have them install the DICE Module.

Thanks alot!

BTW, I have purchased a black Zune and it's been great so far (Trust me, it's not the shareholder part of me saying that, and I'm not saying it's better than an iPod either since I've never had one).

Old 11-16-2006, 04:01 AM
1st Gear

www.enfig.com

go to ipod integration
go to audi
go to a3

Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 20gSTi

www.enfig.com

go to ipod integration
go to audi
go to a3
I second this! I worked with Christian at Enfig on the different options for Ipod integration, he was very helpful and he shipped product out right away. I told him I would recommend him as he did a great job, good service should be rewarded with good word of mouth.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: scalz

Just realize that the Zune is unproven. iPods work... simple as that. And there are a wide variety of accessory products available for using the iPod in your home/office, as well as your car.
+1, I won't put allow Microsoft crap on my computer, so I'm certainly not putting any in my car!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Even though Zune and iPod may not be compatible, you can usually count on the mini-jack being universal. I'm pretty sure that the Zune is not going to have a proprietary headphone jack or they would be dead in the water.

Good luck with your Zune, kudos for taking the risk on the bleeding edge there.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM

The DICE unit according to their website does not work with the RNS-E unit

I came across this site with a unit with RCA jacks. http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...C_PA11_VW.html
All you need then is a patch cable with RCA to mini and your ready to go.

Of course you will have to control and change all from you Zune as there will be no control from the car side.

I got the iPod from Audi installed. I lost my CD changer. I lost my satelite radio. I got control over five play lists on my iPod and one very long list of which I have no idea of where I am on the iPod or what will be played as there is no song info. Upset that a manufacturer would even consider selling this, Yup. Did I confront them about this, Yup. They said it is what it is.

Now I am looking towards others on this and other sites to see what they have to say.

I have the RNS-E unit. I have two Memory card slots behind the screen. I have burned mp3s to the cards. I can see the songs as they play. What I cannot figure out is how to make the songs play in a certain order. Right now they are playing by the order of the song names.

Can anyone out there tell me where to get more infornmation on how to organize the songs on the cards to play in my order?

And good luck getting the Zune to work. Perhaps just get the Tape player adapter with mini cord hook up.