Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Default 1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input

Hi everyone,

As some may know (or not), Microsoft will be releasing their "Zune" MP3/Video player tomorrow. I currently don't have an iPod and as a software developer specializing in Microsoft programming languages and also a Microsoft shareholder, I thought I'd buy the Zune instead when it comes out tomorrow.

Now I'm not an audiophile nor do I know alot about car/entertainment electronics, so my question is whether or not I will be able to hook up the Zune to my '06 A3 (Audi Concert unit) using the "1/8” auxiliary mini jack input"?

Here is the unit (Zune) itself: http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

And here is the cable/connector that I'm planning on using: http://www.zune.net/en-us/accessorie...reolinkcar.htm

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input

Yes i believe it will work because it's like using your car stereo as headphones for your zune. But to make sure, i'll verify that tomorrow when i go to work and try it with a ipod in the auxilary jack.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AugustHorch

Hi everyone,

As some may know (or not), Microsoft will be releasing their "Zune" MP3/Video player tomorrow. I currently don't have an iPod and as a software developer specializing in Microsoft programming languages and also a Microsoft shareholder, I thought I'd buy the Zune instead when it comes out tomorrow.

Now I'm not an audiophile nor do I know alot about car/entertainment electronics, so my question is whether or not I will be able to hook up the Zune to my '06 A3 (Audi Concert unit) using the "1/8” auxiliary mini jack input"?

Here is the unit (Zune) itself: http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

And here is the cable/connector that I'm planning on using: http://www.zune.net/en-us/accessorie...reolinkcar.htm

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Most MP3/AAC players have a 1/8" stereo mini jack for output and will connect fine to a radio/amp that utilizes an auxiliary mini jack input.

Just remember that the tables are turned on this subject...Microsoft is the David that trying to take on Apple who is the Goliath who sells 106K iPods every day. As you know the consumer entertainment market is not Microsoft's forte, and they have blown a huge chunk of change just getting the XBox going, so they need a lot of luck with their Zune endeavor.

Enjoy your Zune!

Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 AM
1st Gear

how do we use the aux?

thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for your replies. Where is the headphone jack though? This may sound dumb, but I've looked through the Audi Concert manual and it does not mention anything about the headphone jack. Is it hidden somewhere or is it something that needs to be custom installed? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 20gSTi

how do we use the aux?

thanks
nevermind, found it

Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

how do we use the aux?

thanks
nevermind, found it
On the iPod or on the car? I don't know where it is on the car.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

I am unsure if there is one on the car? Certinaly none that I could find on the nav system. I rent a lot of cars due to travel and the Chrysler's have it right on the stereo which was very useful, I do not think there is one on mine, is there one on the regular radio? Is it in the back somewhere? I got a Blitzsafe but am awaiting the keys to pull out my stereo, it won't matter in a few days but it would be nice to know where it is if one existes....

Thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Well, I'll delay my purchase [of the Zune] until tomorrow, but I want to make sure that I will be able to connect it to my A3 since that's the only reason I'm getting an mp3 player. I looked in every corner (interior) of the car today and could not find an auxiliary input jack. Any idea as to where its located and if its hidden, how one can expose it?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Just realize that the Zune is unproven. iPods work... simple as that. And there are a wide variety of accessory products available for using the iPod in your home/office, as well as your car.

Quick Reply: 1/8” Auxiliary Mini Jack Input