Archive - Vehicles for Sale Post your vehicles for sale.

HELP! Stuck in Mexico with 2004 Avant 1.8T Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation HELP! Stuck in Mexico with 2004 Avant 1.8T Wagon

I came down to Mexico with my Canadian registered Audi and it broke down because of oil sludge buildup in the oil pump. Audi Canada refuses to cover me under the extended sludge warranty saying it does not exist for my car!!!

The Audi dealership here in Mexico says it will cost me $11,000 for a new engine, which I cannot afford!! Is there a cheaper option some one here in Mexico knows about...

The real urgent situation is now I either have to remove the vehicle from Mexico by towing it back to Canada or the US or fix it and drive it to there.

I have a Conformity Certificate if I sell it or import it to the US. Laredo Texas is 11 hours from where I am located.

It is on a temporary permit to be here and must be taken out of Mexico as I cannot sell it here or part it out... and I sure as heck didnt expect this to happen!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR iDEAS!!! Stranded here with a beautiful car... I have no idea what it would be worth in its current condition either. Look forward to some advice!

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Stuck in Mexico with 2004 Avant 1.8T Wagon-picture-055.jpg   HELP! Stuck in Mexico with 2004 Avant 1.8T Wagon-picture-057.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 AM
1st Gear

Ok, if it were me, simple answer, tow it to the nearest US Audi dealership, see what they say and go from there, but get out of Mexico, bad juju down there these days, depending on where you are. Once you get it fixed talk to Audi again about the warranty. Why in the heck Audi Mexico would tell you to buy you a new engine just because you have sludge buildup in your oil pump is beyond me. I am almost certain your oil pump is outside the block. Heck, go back to Audi Mexico dealer and take a look at the manual for it, you will see for sure then.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Engine not worth repairing... just need to sell it probably!

Well, to answer your suggestion Kurgan, just a bit more info... the Audi Dealer here (and they are more reputable here than Canada I must say!) says the engine block is fine however the one piston and bar along the bottom is completely shot/broken/cracked and ALL the seals are gone because it ran with no oil getting into the engine... due to the oil sludge in the oil pump. The Audi dealer said it would be far more expensive (labour and parts) to rebuild the engine rather than just putting in a new one...

SO. To comment about your concern of my safety... far more safe here in Mexico these days than the States (or Canada for that matter)... I just need to get the damn car out of the country and in doing so, I may as well sell it.

Anyone know about transporting it cheap to the US to sell it? Or selling it to someone to import it as a Canadian car into the US to repair and fix themselves if they have the ability? It is only 11 hours from where I am to the Laredo border crossing. Need some creative suggestions here... Thanks!

Last edited by MexicanAvant; 05-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
5th Gear

well since you're in mexico, just hire a band of donkeys to pull it across the border lol. j/k j/k i know you're gonna get a lot of crap from customs because you're transporting the vehicle and you're entering the US. as far as cheap transportation, i doubt you'll find any. unless you sell the car dirt cheap, you won't be able to get rid of it any time soon. i'd call the US customs at the closest border and ask them what to do.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear
Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 AM

ill buy the car even go get it myself LOL

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

what are you willing to pay and are you familiar with US Customs/Mex Customs