Archive - Vehicles for Sale Post your vehicles for sale.

FS: 1997 Audi A4 Quattro Turbo 1.8L Automatic 133k in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default FS: 1997 Audi A4 Quattro Turbo 1.8L Automatic 133k in San Francisco

I have to sell my precious Audi A4 (1997 1.8L Quattro Turbo) because it suddenly came down with some serious engine trouble. The engine makes a loud clattering noise when idling or driving, and two mechanics both tell me its internal and the engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt. (Story how it got the way below). I can't afford to pay for a new engine or a rebuild and I have no access to a garage where I can work on the car myself.

This would make a great car for a mechanic or someone with a mechanic friend to help them fix the engine. It would also make a good car to part out the parts from if you have a yard or something you can store it in.

The car can still drive, but I wouldn't trust trying to drive it a long distance. You'll probably have to tow it back to your house/shop unless you live in the city.

1997 Audi A4 Quattro Turbo 1.8L Automatic
Color: Blue
Milage: ~133,040 miles
I've owned the car for about 2.5 years. Bought around 88,000 miles.
Condition is good apart from below known problems. No body damage.
Drove very well until the engine oil problem suddenly.
Clean title. Passed smog last year.

Known problems:
Engine is sick - the car does run still, but it makes a racket!
Power steering hose leaks (Mechanic says Pump and Rack are OK, Resiviour OK)
Minor oil leak: valve cover gasket
Coolant leak: Coming from Cooling hose flange back part of cyl
Paint has some scratches on rear bumper (street parking)
A keying line on the driver side doors
Passanger side mirror glass has some cosmetic flaws
Tires need to be replaced
Interior is good. Just needs some vaccuming. There are some stains on floor carpet.

Recent repairs:
Brand new brakes and rotors as of a few months ago. ($900)
Fixed 3 oil leaks 1 day before the engine died! ($650)
dip stick holder
oil pressure switch (on block)
oil filter housing gaskets

Engine problem:
It had a persistent oil leak for a couple of years, but it was slow and not that serious, so I never got around to getting it fixed. Then the other day driving around, the oil leak became bad suddenly and I had to drive about 1/2 mile to a mechanic. I paid $650 to have the oil leaks fixed, got the car back the next day, and now the engine makes a funny noise on revving. I asked the mechanic about the noise and he told me it might just need to be broken in. I drove to pacifica the next day and on the way back the oil pressure light came on. I had to have the car towed back to the city and back to the mechanic. He checked out the oil pump and other issues he thought may be causing it and he came to the conclusion it was the engine -- it must have taken some internal damage from the oil starvation during the short drive a few days before. I took it to another mechanic and he opened it and checked the cam shafts and said they were not scortched, then he tested the oil pressure and said it was good, so the problem must be internal.

Price: $2500

Attached Images