Archive - Vehicles for Sale Post your vehicles for sale.

1999.5 a4 2.8 5 speed quattro black on black Northern NJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Talking 1999.5 a4 2.8 5 speed quattro black on black Northern NJ

I just coppied this from my Craigslist Add.
I have it listed on there for 3800, but I am open to any offers. Just hit me up. Contact info at the bottom of the post.

For Sale is a 1999.5 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5 Speed. 125xxx miles.

The carfax on this car is mint. No accident or roll back history or anything of that nature.

I purchased this car a week ago from a dealer in PA. All looked in good shape and I took the car to my mechanic after just to give the car a once over. Unfortunately he found that when they replaced the clutch the day before I got the car they reinstalled the transmission wrong and ended up breaking the bell housing on it. My loss is your gain on this one. I do not have the time to get the car fixed, I need to pick up a new one so I can continue working. I had to buy this car because my old BMW finally died on me.

I noticed no problems with the car when I drove it for three days before I took him to get it serviced.
Here is a full writeup on what he found:

Found transmission was not intalled / seated propperly against engine. There is almost a 1/4 inch gap between transmission bell housing and engine block. Also transmission bell housing (aluminium) is cracked / broke as a result of trying to force transmission to seat fuly against engine block. ALso found bolts that secure front axle shafts to flanges on tramsmission were loose

He is a very reputable mechanic, with various certifications.

The Good:
Cold air intake installed. Not sure on the brand. Audi quattro is a beast in the snow.
NEW CLUTCH, carfax shows regular maintenance has been preformed and new wheel berrings were installed as well.

sun roof, 5 speed, ac / heat 19" b6 style audi rims, new tires, SPOTLESS inside and out. I was amazed with how clean the car was. Heated seats, dual climate zone, 6 cd changer, power driver and passanger seats. Black on black leather, Bose premium sound system. Fog lights, rear fog light ALL ORIGINAL BOOKS FROM WHEN THE CAR WAS PURCHASED. Keyless entry, one touch windows, the works.

The bad:
needs new thermostat, New bell housing. CEL on for EVAP system. Diagnosed to be a loose exhaust clamp.

You can't imagine my fury when I found out what this dealership did to me. Unfortunately my dad unknowingly signed "AS-IS" papers and we cannot find the window sticker which stated the car included a warranty. Like I said, my loss is your gain.

I have a pda so I will immediately receive your email or you can call or text to 908 295 3284. All the pictures are from the dealership, not where the car is currently located. I have yet to even register the car so it still holds a PA title.

Last edited by guitarliketom; 12-22-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Ok, as suggested by a few, price dropped.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

It wouldnt take too long to repair the bell housing... labor wouldnt be the cheapest but at the least you could get a good bit more for the car. Also if you go to a private shop they might be willing to try and repair the bell housing or send it out to be repaired. If not you could also part it I happen to need a transmission and the wood around the vup holder fog's and hazard lights, and a tan center arm rest, and a bumper and a power steering pump. I wouldn't mind taking the transmission w/ the new clutch

Last edited by somebody5788; 12-23-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Well right now I'm looking to make a straight sale on the car, ill re list here first if i plan on parting it out. I really dont have the time to do that with school right now.

For the heads up the interior is black, not tan too.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

bump..

super negotiable on this. just shoot me an offer

Old 12-27-2008, 02:21 AM
3rd Gear

If the dealership shop installed a new clutch the day prior to the sale, and mounted the transmission faulty, why didn't you take the car back?
You shouldn't be at a loss, no matter if it said on the sticker "As-IS". If you can get a written testimony from your mechanic (as a proof) that improper tranny mounting by the dealership shop caused the bell housing cracking, you should have a case.
As far as the warranty sticker, most used car dealers sell all the used cars in decent shape with 30 day warranty. Typically, only pieces of junk/rust are sold "As-IS" without any warranty whatsoever. For a 9 yr old car it should definitely had the 30 day warranty.

By the way, did you have a temporary registration for the three days you drove it? The temporary plates can be traced by the Secretary of State back to the dealership, as a proof that they sold you the car.
You let'em off the hook so easily...

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
If the dealership shop installed a new clutch the day prior to the sale, and mounted the transmission faulty, why didn't you take the car back?
You shouldn't be at a loss, no matter if it said on the sticker "As-IS". If you can get a written testimony from your mechanic (as a proof) that improper tranny mounting by the dealership shop caused the bell housing cracking, you should have a case.
As far as the warranty sticker, most used car dealers sell all the used cars in decent shape with 30 day warranty. Typically, only pieces of junk/rust are sold "As-IS" without any warranty whatsoever. For a 9 yr old car it should definitely had the 30 day warranty.

By the way, did you have a temporary registration for the three days you drove it? The temporary plates can be traced by the Secretary of State back to the dealership, as a proof that they sold you the car.
You let'em off the hook so easily...

they arent off the hook yet. we are still badgering and talking to them. I just am seeing if anyone else would be intrested as well so I dont have to go through all the court procedures. My case is pretty good, but I'm just seeking alternative measures right now.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

BUMP AND UPDATE!!!

transmission has been FIXED. my mechanic took the entire thing apart and deduced the damage was not as bad as expected. the alignment pins were what cracked and caused the gap, NOT a break in the transmission. THere is a small crack in the bell housing, but nothing detrimental to the functioning of the trans.

im going to bump the price back up to 4300 OBO. It still needs a thermostat.

Need to sell, Thanks for looking.

Last edited by guitarliketom; 01-22-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Can you post pics or send some to aeromed33@yahoo.com?
If they are posted sorry guess I can't see them .

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Can you post pics or send some to aeromed33@yahoo.com?
If they are posted sorry guess I can't see them .
no pictures are up. I'll email the few I have now.

Quick Reply: 1999.5 a4 2.8 5 speed quattro black on black Northern NJ