Archive - Interior/Electrical/Stereo List your Interior/Electrical/Stereo parts for sale here.

Aftermarket Bluetooth Mic Placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket Bluetooth Mic Placement

Been searching for days now and can't find anything to help me on this...

I recently installed the Parrot MKI9000 in my 20003 A4 with the Symphony II unit. Got it working (thanks to the audiworld write up http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec134.shtml) with only one problem. Its a dual microphone set up and I placed them up near the dome light similar to how its shown in the aforementioned audiworld write up. People on the other end of the line could not hear me well at all. So I put the mic back in the original enclosure and people said I sounded fine. I then tried to put the whole enclosure back in the dome light assembly and my voice quality, once again, went down.

I'd prefer to not have the microphone sticking out anywhere, but would rather have an oem look to the set up. Anybody have any thoughts/experience with this issue (even in other cars). I can't believe that what I'm trying to achieve isn't possible, just need some help on this.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

In case anyone is interested; I managed to reuse my stock mic in my A3 (which is very much like an A4 partswise) with an aftermarket HU.

They are all basically condensor mic's; they only really come in two flavours, active and passive, much like antennas (i.e. powered, not powered). I've not seen an active condensor mic used for a headset etc. If your mic has two wires its probably a standard passive mic.

On my A3 the stock mic is in the overhead unit with the interior lights, pop the cover off and you will see a rectangular thing on a lead. Do not confuse with the round mic like thing, these are the ultrasonic sensors for the alarm system. If you unscrew the whole lighting unit you should see that the mic leads go into a single black screened cable (with green & black wires) that shoots off behind the roof trim along with a load of other wires and the other alarm sensors. It passes down the passenger A pillar, joins a massive bundle of wires on the chassis behind the glove box and air vents (because I'm in RHD vehicle). The big bundle comes out inside the central console and splits into loads of loams that dart off around the front of the car for the HU, ABS, airbags, dashboard, lights etc.

Two lengths slip down in to the passenger footwell to get to the telephone system under the passenger seat. One of these is the mic.

I wasn't brave/bothered enough to try and get to the telephone system to try and work out which one it is, I simply cut the thick black wire (that looks like an antenna cable) in the passenger A pillar and spliced in another cable from there to the central console for the aftermarket HU. In the absence of any useful information I used the black cable as ground and the green as signal.

This all seems to work fine with the HU and people seem to be able to hear me clearly.

Hope that is of use to someone in future.