Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Warning lights on dash light up under heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Warning lights on dash light up under heavy acceleration

Just bought a 2001 6-spd Allroad with 72,000 miles. Drove like a dream during the test drive. However, on drive home, I got into it a little more aggressively and some problems surfaced.

When accelerating hard, whether from a stop or doing a 60 to 80 mph pass in 6th gear, the engine seems to lose power above 4000rpms (surges as well) and four lights come on on the dash: ABS and Check Engine, a triangle with an arrow circling it (ESP I think), and a car icon with an up and down arrow in it (ride hieght?). Once I let up, the ABS and ESP lights go out, the check engine light sometimes goes out, and the car icon always stays on. They all reset when I turn off the car and start it back up. The car drives great when driven normal. No lights come. Even moderate acceleration is ok. It's only when I floor it does it seem to object.

Additional info, the car has an APR chip installed and I was running with 93 octane.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Warning lights on dash light up under heavy acceleration

sounds like a power surge problem ( alternator ) APR chip they do cause some issues like this

Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. That is the sort of info that I was looking for. Do you know if there is a fix or update for the APR chip. I used to have a GAIC chip for my GTI amd it would surge as well.

However, I think there are bigger issues at work here. I have been doing some research and it sounds like a faulty ABS module might be part of the problem. I hope not because it sounds like an expensive part ($650 min), and that's just for the part, and if I can DIY.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I just had 4 new tires put on my car at a foreignauto shop.I had the tires mounted and balanced and then a 4 wheel alignment and then after a phone call was told I needed a new tie rod assemblyon the frontpassenger side because it wasfrozen. After paying over 800 for all of thisservice I picked my car up and drove down the road and aside from the steering wheel not being aligned with the tires, I had a real lag in power and the suspension light, ABS and ESP lights came on when I tried to accelerate. I didn't have this problem before I took it to the shop.Needless to say I phoned them and told them to expect me in a few minutes and then made a U turn and took it right back. They have had my car now for 3 days and still have no answers for me.

HELP!

2004 Audi Allroad / 2.7T

Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Site Moderator

Tell them to fix the alignment, the problem with the abs and brake light flashing is probably the abs control unit. They commonly go out and are VERY costly to replace.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 PM

If you haven't checked out www.modulemaster.com do that. I did their replacement in a 1999 A4 and my allroad has the same ABS module code. They are VERY quick with the turn around, and if memory serves correct, the new part with return shipping was $200 even...a hell of a deal when you look at complete replacement. Oh ya...it comes with a transferable 5 year warranty.