Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Default Replacement Tires

Hi,
I own a '04 allroad and need new tires. The Goodyear Wrangler F1, 225/55 r17 tire, that came stock on my car is hard to come by, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on what tire I should use to replace the GY F1 with?
Thanks for the help.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Replacement Tires

etops,

I had started doing some research on tires when I was about to pick up my '04 from the dealer. I think it depends mostly on what your driving habits are and whether or not you have OEM wheels. If you don't have any snow, I would go with a performance tire, if not high-performance. If you're up a colder region like mine, you need something with snow abilities right now.

My car had such low miles when I bought it that, during the CPO inspection, they found dry-rot in the tires and replaced them with brand-new Pirelli P6 allroads--the tires actually designed for our car. I'm not crazy about them, but they were brand new and didn't cost me anything. I was planning on putting some snows on the OEM wheels, and then buying a set of 18" or 19" wheels and some low-profile tires for temperate times.

So, figure out your needs (including how much you want to spend) and from what I have heard, avoid the P6 allroad tires.

john

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I did the tire game also.....I ended up going to the P-6 after the F-1 wore out after 30k. My f-1s wore out only because thetech who ddid alignment messedit up and the tires wore out the rear tires only. I had pretty good meat on fronts so I bought just two.....mistake. I bought Bridgstone turanzas. O.K tire but looked like a passenger tire you might see on a buick. I really liked the profile on the F-1sand how they looked on the car. A couple of months later i went to buy two more and thats when i got the education on tire purchases. I was told never only replace two tires at a time on an allwheel drive car. The different size tires........new compared to old the circumfrence will be different thus forcing allwheel drive system to compensate for this and could lead to transmission problems. After all of this my head was spinning. I just had laid out over $500 for tires and alignment and now it was faced with this. At that point i was tired. i ahd read that the f1s were crap as well as the p-6s. I learned that if you kept the tires balanced and rotated and the car aligned i would be fine. I've owned some cool cars before and this one really needs A-LOT of attention to be tight. But when its good No-ONE sees it commin, only going. I finally decided to give the P-6 a go and they have been great. I dont use the car for anything but normal driving. An occasonal dirt road or semi deep snow and the tire is good. Havnt come close to wrecking car YET, due to bad weather. I have approx, 14k on tires and all good so far.....LOTS of meat left. Oh by the way I have two brigstone turanza tires collecting dust only two months on them. If someone wants let me know . we can work something out.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the help you guys. I'm in Hawaii, so I wont be needding the all-season tires. I recently shipped the vehicle from the bay area so.............
The shop that I recently took my allroad to here, suggested the BF Goodrich G-force sport tire. I guess I'll give it a try.
Thank you.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I installed the P6 allroad tires about a year ago and have about 12K on them. I must say, I'm horrified at the rate of wear. A the rate they're going I'll have to replace them again in about 6 months. All my driving is in the SF Bay area and Lake Tahoe.

Maybe it's my lead foot and the great twisties in my back yard...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the info.