Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

No reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default No reverse

Hello all.....I know its been a long while.....my allroad has been bullet proof since this morning......I went out & tried to back out of my driveway and BAM no reverse.......Strangely since just yesterday it was having a problem with the parking break.& my mysterious problem with my headlite washers came back a couple of days ago. I hope its just a part or something & not a tranny problem. I spent the whole morning reseaching the forum and the possibilty of what it could be. also noticed the problem with the torque converter...leaking from a seal.....could this be it? also what of this safetry circuit that wont allow car to back up? whats that? I cant afford to drop 6k on reman trans.........ANYBODY have anything to add? Please help me out......want to keep car but it doesnt seem likely. I may have to sell 4 parts...Its in grreat shape but want to keep. She only has 90k on it & runnns like a bastard in forward. Maybe ill keep just wont park so i have to back up.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Same thing, i dont have my reverse for past 3 months.
Would be nice to find other solution then tranny rebuild...

Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 AM
1st Gear
Default allroad trans

Capocodallroad

Don't know if you still need info; in case you do, here are my experiences (I have an "01 allroad.

Check out Gentry's Trans Rebuild--either website or ebay (search auto parts/trans/5hp19 etc. They quote $1875 plus shipping; their description of how they work is pretty convincing, and I'm gonna bite the bullet. If you can do the work, pulling it out is doable. I believe shop time is about 10 hours to R&R. Pay attention to the torque convertor as well. I guess mine (117k miles) has a failing F piston or clutch basket, as I can back up, but with a lot of slip. I don't know how common this is, but ask a rebuilder (or even ZF) if the rebuilt parts solve the problem. Other than this issue, I think the ZF is pretty danged durable. Man, this one hurts. I'm thinking of taking out the whole powertrain so I can inspect and rebuild the turbos--I mean, you're right there and the kits are $30 a side (ebay again). Maybe motor mounts as well--future-proofing!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default manual trans

just throwing it out there, on ebay, you can get a kit for about 2500 bucks with all the parts to do a manual conversion... Having a 2000 A6 4.2 with a bum tranmission and always worried about the tranny in my allroad, I'm gonna try to do the conversion as soon as I have some cash just another cheaper option that the 6K reman tranny

Old 05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Default No reverse

Autumn 2010 my year 2000 Allroad 2.7T I had exactly the same problem: reverse sometimes engaged, but slipped on steeper inclines.
I got it rebuilt for €2000.
The mechanic mentioned there is a weakness in the factory auto-tiptronic transmission for Audis from the same period: some of the disks are too thin on their edge and they fracture after years of use, and in the worst case fractured pieces come off and cause more damage.
He rebuilt it with newer thicker disks.
Be sure to get the same thicker disks for your rebuilds.