Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Front/Rear bias

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Front/Rear bias

Today was my first real snow driving. It was fun! Without doing a full parking lot experimentation session, though, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the front/rear bias is normally set at, and how readily that switches during low-traction conditions. Also, does it ever go 100% rear, and will it all go to one wheel if necessary?

Here's to slidin'!

john

Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Default RE: Front/Rear bias

On slick snowy days I'm biased toward keeping the front in the front and the back in the back. Last time I swapped that around I put my 911 into a guardrail. Never a problem in my Allroad!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

...so, you were driving your 911 in the snow and swapped ends? Maybe you should have been biased towards putting some chains on the 911's snows. Oh, and was that the 911 model with the height-adjustable chin spoiler so you don't spend the trip shoveling?

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that you've never had a problem with your allroad in the snow. One would hope that a German car engineered to deal with "all roads" would handle snow well. To get into my (recently plowed-in) driveway yesterday, I just bumped the suspension up to the highest level and hit the gas. BLOOEY! Just like in the commercials.

jf

Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 PM

Yep, 911 backward into a guard rail. No adjustable chin spoileron my 964 (one of the last proper 911s). No carbon fiber, traction control, tiptronic, satellite radio, or any of the other non-speed related nonesense either.

Never, ever, ever let off the gas in a turn when it's slick (just as true in an Allroad). No matter how good your winter tires are. When you start to slide floor it. The car will find traction and you'll go. Since I bought the Allroad in 2004 the Porsche spends the winters in the garage.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Ouch (re: guardrail). I have always been fascinated by the whole Porsche aura. Since I've never driven one, all I know is the (now apparently outdated) reputation for being a bit twitchy at the limit in turns. I admit, however, to my abject ignorance on the subject.

I have, however, spent many moments sideways in the snow over the years--usually on purpose, and learned early on to keep my foot in it. I suppose it's my job now to find a snowy parking lot (without lampposts) and do some skidding. If you have any allroad-specific tips, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

john