Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Emergency flashers don't blink, but stay lit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Emergency flashers don't blink, but stay lit

This problem occurred randomly for about a week, then got to the point where the red triangular emergency flasher light just stayed lit along with all of the exterior lights that are associated with flashing hazard lights. The first thing I did was buy a new flasher unit from my local Audi dealer, but it didn't help at all. Needless to say, the turn signals won't work when all this is going on, and I ended up just pulling the flasher unit out, since that was the only way to turn off the lights. I'm not making any friends with my hand signals for turning, plus it's getting cold outside, lol.

Ohhhh, lest I forget to add one 'minor' point. Two weeks ago, I was officially initiated into the VAG owner's circle when rainwater ran into the footwells after the drainhole under the battery got plugged up. I got right on it, and wet vacced and toweled up everything without having to endure some of the horror stories I've had about floor-installed components shorting out and the like. On the other hand, maybe this emergency flasher problem is directly related to the flood?

Thanksto anyone who can offer suggestions to fix this!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Emergency flashers don't blink, but stay lit

If you already replaced the flasher relay (red tirangle) then you have a problem with the turn signal stock. You have to take out the air bag, remove the steering wheel, then pull out the spiral clock spring (make sure to mark it) then un-flange the turn signal stock from the steering shaft.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for that information. Sounds like I might let a shop do that level of work. One thing I failed to mention is that the door locks aren't working either, something that may or may not be related, but that problem occurred about the same time the flashers started staying on.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Site Moderator

If they lock when using the lock buttons inside the car but not with the key fob, you probably have to re-code all your keys.