Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Hello Bagpipingandy, thank you for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

1) does the car still sit ok at level 1 or is it lower and on the bump stops at the front or back?

It seems to ne at the bump stops at the front. The back seems to be a little raised compared to the front.

2) you say the light flashes for 1-2mins then the error light comes on, what light is flashing? the level 1 or 2 green light? or the yellow suspension error light?

Sorry, I meant the yellow suspension error light. Since I had the front right airbag changed in january I took the car yesterday to the garage so they check the line hoping it will just be that. While I was driving the car, the yellow suspension error light would turn off at times. The green light of level one would at times flash, then stay on, then the lowering light would flash and so on.

3) it sounds like the compressor is running ok during this 1-2 mins but the car does not move or very little, did it do this before the garage man looked at it or was it working lifting perfectly?

The car was raising and lowering perfectly, altough I didn't use that function much for fear of damaging it.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 AM
1st Gear

Hi,
ok sounds like a leak, i would remove the wheels on the front and inspect the air hose is still attached, especially the one which had work done on it, this may explain the whoosh noise.

the flashing error light is the car trying to lift as it realises the car is lower than level 1 on at least one corner, the compressor is running also trying to lift, this tells us the system is actually working correctly but you still have no lifting, so 1st port is check for leaks as this will prevent the car lifting.

regards

andy

Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Hello Bagpipingandy, unfortunately I took the car to the garage on thursday thinking they would quickly check this, but they only checked until today and according to the garage guy the left airbag is now the problem and there is no other leak in the system. I say unfortunately because now I don't trust them, how is it possible to get a punctured airbag when the car wasn't even moving?

When I had my right airbag punctured, the car would lean to the right while other corners remained raised. Is it possible to have the whole car lowered with only one punctured airbag?

I tried going to get my car today but wasn't able to do so as there was too much traffic so will have to go tomorrow and I will try to take it to a place where they can lift the car and remove the wheel so I can check what you suggested. Meanwhile, since the easter vacation is in just 2 weeks I had no choice but to spend $275 for a new Arnott airbag which after adding the shipping to my country + taxes will be more than $350 + garage fee. Hope they get here on time to take family on vacation!

I'm really starting to hate this car.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so I got the car back yesterday, couldn't take it yet to a tyres place to lift it and check the air lines myself as you suggested, but this morning it does look like leaning to the left so what the garage guy said may me true. I just don't understand why it leaned to the left until today... Apparently the unit I ordered through Amazon arrived yesterday night to Florida so I think it will be here at the begining of next week, just in time for the easter vacation

Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

OK, well I think I am there.Much time spent checking for leaks with no evidence of leak found. Started with rt front Arnott bag that will be one year old May 1. Spray bottle of soapy water showed no leak there in bag or airline connections. Moved to left front where new Arnott was installed a couple weeks ago. Still no evidence of leak found with bag , airline or connections. checked all lines back to valve block and no leaks detected from line or valve block and connections. Can the valve block somehow leak internally so it is not visible externally? Only the front is dropping overnight most times just rt front although occasionally both rt and lt. Good news is new compressor pops it right back up when car is started. I'm baffled at this point.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by corcorand
OK, well I think I am there.Much time spent checking for leaks with no evidence of leak found. Started with rt front Arnott bag that will be one year old May 1. Spray bottle of soapy water showed no leak there in bag or airline connections. Moved to left front where new Arnott was installed a couple weeks ago. Still no evidence of leak found with bag , airline or connections. checked all lines back to valve block and no leaks detected from line or valve block and connections. Can the valve block somehow leak internally so it is not visible externally? Only the front is dropping overnight most times just rt front although occasionally both rt and lt. Good news is new compressor pops it right back up when car is started. I'm baffled at this point.
it is best to only look for leaks with the car's suspension sitting at level 1, if you jack it up the suspension bellow extends and the leak will stop, it only leaks with the cars airbag sitting as it would with the wheels/suspension at level 1,

regards

Andy

Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Leaking Airbag at Level 1

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
it is best to only look for leaks with the car's suspension sitting at level 1, if you jack it up the suspension bellow extends and the leak will stop, it only leaks with the cars airbag sitting as it would with the wheels/suspension at level 1,

regards

Andy
Since it's been established that the bag leaks at level one, then we can assume that the bag itself has been compromised ( Pin hole size, or bigger leak ). Short of replacing the leaking bag, you could try the "Green Slime Tire Sealant" stuff. It's worked for me in the past and, in fact, lasted nearly a 1 1/2 years. Since airbags are outrageously priced ( new ), then it's worth a shot. The worst that can happen is that it fails and you end up replacing the bag anyway.
As for the Dist. Block leaking, I don't think so, but that doesn't mean that one of the air supply lines is not leaking, either at the block, or in between block and suspected . I've seen this happen several times over the years, worth looking into, but a PITA to test.
I've switched over to a 2001 A6, 2.7T, 6 spd manual, with 49,800+ miles. I love it. Although I miss my Allroad, I would never go back. Too many problems with the Tiptronic Allroad. Now maybe a 6 spd Allroad is in the future, who knows.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Well I will chime in here for some advise.

2004 2.7T Both front lowered below level 1 and rear sitting up at like level 2.

this just happened a few days ago. I did my oil change. Now what I didn't do is place the suspension in service mode as I didn't know to do this.(1st Audi allroad owner)

The compressor goes on for about a minute, the lift light blinks on level one for that time and then the compressor stops no lift in the front. Compressor a bit louder then when I got the car a month ago. And all levels were working. Dashboard light goes on.

I am ordering the rebuild kit for the compressor. Hope that works like a charm.

Also getting a VAG COM. Hope all this helps.Now I did crawl under the car to look at the compressor location and things don't look as good as I would have kept up with it but then again it's the weather and elements.

Rusted bolts and screws, clamps too, see images.

All the help is welcomed

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.-img_2308.jpg   Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.-img_2306.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

I just rebuilt my compressor with the bagpipingandy rebuild kit and worked like a charm. How I went about it.

1.Watched both videos to determine if it was something I could do....yes I can
2.ordered the parts just under 50 dollars...
3.got my baby in the garage, put the suspension in service mode
4.took the cover/shield off the compressor
5.unhooked all electrical to compressor undid the airline from compressor to all other lines
6.figured I need glasses, bunch of dirt flying at you under there
7.disconnected the compressor from car via 3 nuts
8.cleaned the compressor on the outside well before opening it
9.undid the two screws as they show(please use WD-40 and let sit for a while)
10.cleaned off oring area very very well, do your best this is serious
11.replaced all parts in kit
12.put it back together
13.went to put it back in the car and this is harder than taking it off, so I used a extra jack stand to hold the compressor while i aligned it and got the nuts secured- trust me you want to do this
14.I also replaced every rubber hose(3) about 6 inches long each and put new clamps in as well.
15. once done with compressor, lifted the front to as close as possible match the height of the rear, 2 jacks, one on each side of the car in the front
16.took car off of service mode
17.turned it on and waited for the compressor to work, filling up the front
18.once that did it, i pressed level 2, once compressor stopped, i lowered it to the ground and the car leveled it self off and the dash light went off

hope this helps anyone else out there.
total time took me about 3 hours, i guess I could have got it done sooner but it was my first time so I was cautious

also for anyone out there check this link out and see the pricing near your area for just about any service if you took it in to Audi and tell me saving a few hundred to diagnose your car is not worth a VAG COM tool

Audi Allroad Repair Center: Free Estimates | U.S. News Best Cars

Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by torturebori
I just rebuilt my compressor with the bagpipingandy rebuild kit and worked like a charm. How I went about it.

1.Watched both videos to determine if it was something I could do....yes I can
2.ordered the parts just under 50 dollars...
3.got my baby in the garage, put the suspension in service mode
4.took the cover/shield off the compressor
5.unhooked all electrical to compressor undid the airline from compressor to all other lines
6.figured I need glasses, bunch of dirt flying at you under there
7.disconnected the compressor from car via 3 nuts
8.cleaned the compressor on the outside well before opening it
9.undid the two screws as they show(please use WD-40 and let sit for a while)
10.cleaned off oring area very very well, do your best this is serious
11.replaced all parts in kit
12.put it back together
13.went to put it back in the car and this is harder than taking it off, so I used a extra jack stand to hold the compressor while i aligned it and got the nuts secured- trust me you want to do this
14.I also replaced every rubber hose(3) about 6 inches long each and put new clamps in as well.
15. once done with compressor, lifted the front to as close as possible match the height of the rear, 2 jacks, one on each side of the car in the front
16.took car off of service mode
17.turned it on and waited for the compressor to work, filling up the front
18.once that did it, i pressed level 2, once compressor stopped, i lowered it to the ground and the car leveled it self off and the dash light went off

hope this helps anyone else out there.
total time took me about 3 hours, i guess I could have got it done sooner but it was my first time so I was cautious

also for anyone out there check this link out and see the pricing near your area for just about any service if you took it in to Audi and tell me saving a few hundred to diagnose your car is not worth a VAG COM tool

Audi Allroad Repair Center: Free Estimates | U.S. News Best Cars
Hi,

Im glad you like my air suspension compressor repair kit

3500+ sold now, but plenty of allroads still to repair yet !!

see link to kits:

www.bagpipingandy.com

any questions please jusr ask

regards

Andy

Quick Reply: Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.