Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

2.7T valve cover gasket replaced - still leaking? Cam seals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.7T valve cover gasket replaced - still leaking? Cam seals?

Hi all,

I have recently had the full timing belt/WP/cam seals service performed on my 2005 Allroad at 92K miles (yea...I know I was flirting with danger).

I was told that both cam chain tensioner seals/gaskets were leaking, and indeed, the passenger side was producing the burnt oil smell commonly associated with this problem. I replaced the gasket and seal (thanks to several excellent write-ups in this forum) along with the valve cover gasket. I used Reinzosil black as required in the corners/ends of the valve cover - between the head and the gasket and reassembled. Now there is a persistent leak coming from the passengers side front of the motor, and I cannot tell if it's from the valve cover. I removed the cover, checked the gasket...it was well sealed to the head (did not come off), then I added a layer of Reinzosil in the same locations between the gasket and the cover. It's still leaking somewhere by where the plastic timing gear cover meets the valve cover/cyl. head. I used Tracerline Dye-Lite and I still cannot pinpoint the friggin' leak. The indy who did the TB/WP service used PTFE cam seals, and he stated he doesn't like them(?) Could this be the source of the leak? Wouldn't that contaminate the timing gear and possibly the belt? Sorry for the long post...thanks in advance for your feedback.

-IPStevieB

Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE: It WAS the passenger-side cam seal causing the leak, so I'm not crazy after all.
The shop that installed it confirmed that the PTFE seals were causing issues. He replaced the seal with a non-PTFE one under warranty....nice! Shout out to Alan at German Car Repair in Roswell, GA.

So beware folks, these new PTFE-based seals can cause leaks. Now I have to tackle the drivers side cam chain tensioner gasket and seal. Maybe I'll just pay Alan to do it this time around.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Hi there,
All new to that web site. Just bought a 2003 Audi allroad 2.7L. The head cover is due ,but I don't fell paying $1,450 for it. I used to rebuild Vw bus air cooled (72-83 engines), watch video today on you tube but they only show the passenger side . Is the driver side harder to be done? Any recommendation for a good gasket kit company? You did specified posting on this web site about Audi allroad valve cover gasket, do you still have the info? Can you share them,please. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Hi there,
All new to that web site. Just bought a 2003 Audi allroad 2.7L. The head cover is due ,but I don't fell paying $1,450 for it. I used to rebuild Vw bus air cooled (72-83 engines), watch video today on you tube but they only show the passenger side . Is the driver side harder to be done? Any recommendation for a good gasket kit company? You did specified posting on this web site about Audi allroad valve cover gasket, do you still have the info? Can you share them,please. Thank you for your time.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM
1st Gear
Angry UPDATE: Still leaking!

Well, Even after the cam seal was replaced, it leaks in the same spot, but now appears to be worse. The shop owner has essentially 'given up' and asked me to take it to either the dealer or another qualified Audi repair shop for a second opinion, giving me a $250.00 refund to pay for the diagnosis.

He stated that they verified the cam seals on the passenger side were in properly. WTH else could it be? I replaced the VC gasket AGAIN to be certain, and it only leaks from the very front of the engine, between the rear timing belt cover and the cylinder head.