New Audi Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi Owner

I just bought a 1991 Audi 200 Turbo yesterday in nice shape but there are some problems that i need to fix.

First, and most annoying. The Fuel Gauge and low fuel lights dont do their job, i'm think ing a new fuel sensor will fix this, anyone know how to do this/how easy it is?

Second, temp guage is erratic. im thinkin sensor again on this one. i checked 35 bucka at a dealer, anyone know how to fix this?

How easy is it to replace the brake pads/are they 4 wheel disc??

Theres a switch in the dash with a wierd symbol. when i press it a yellow triangle comes on. I dont know what it does!!! The manual says REAR FOG LAMPS. but ive looked all over the car to replace the bulbs.

The power door locks cant be unlocked from the driver side, I think im just going to install remote install to fix this.

The clock doesnt light up at night, how do i fix this? or is it supposed to happen?

Finally, the radio doesnt turn on, i think the display may be shot, but its locked out, can i have a sequence of keys to press to unlock it? i need a radio!!! even if theres no display it will say in the dash. do i press the code in, or do i use the arrows? the radio instruction manual is not readable.

other than these little things, i love the car a lot. And i hope that it will last me a long time. Although i am a bit wary moving from a japanese honda to a german luxury sedan, im hoping it was the right choice. so far, I love it

Thanks in advance everybody, Ill probably be sticking around this forum for awhile.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New Audi Owner

Fuel Gauge, low fuel, temp gauge – probably the connector/s located on the gauge panel, notorious.

Brake pads - 4 wheel discs. The rears are more involved than then the fronts unless your front are of the UFO variety then it's $$$.

switch with a weird symbol - REAR FOG LAMP lights up only when the headlights are on.

The clock doesn’t light up at night - it’s a German thing, turns off when you turn on the lights, I guess they don’t want you to rush at night.

radio doesn’t turn on – probably needs a code I think that only the dealers have access to this or try doing a Google search.

“Although I am a bit wary moving from a Japanese Honda to a German luxury sedan, I’m hoping it was the right choice. so far, I love it.” If you can’t do some of the work yourself. Congrats, you are now the proud owner of German “money pit”.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the help man,

ill check the connectors behind the gauge panel this weekend

the REAR FOG LAMPS switch is there, and i can get it to come on, but damned if i can find where the hell they are.

radio is suppsed to display sAFE when the radio is locked, theres no display at all, but it lights up. i figure the panels out, which makes it a hell of a hard time to enter the right code.

im off to buy a haynes manual tonight. thanks for the help, and i do plan on doing ALOT of the work myself

kudos

Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

The '91 200 is a nice car, the down side is that many of drive train parts are unique to that particular model year only. As result it can be very expensive car to maintain even if you do most of the work yourself. On the plus side it is very solid and holds up rather well, without the squeaks, rattles and rust that you will typically find on the Japanese cars of the same vintage. What I have found is that Audi's often suffer from electrical problems that are mostly due to oxidation between the contacts.