Audi 80 - Front Passenger Electric Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi 80 - Front Passenger Electric Window Problem

Hi Guys,

Came home last night with windows down, and now my front, left passenger window won't go back up. Simple as that, won't move an inch, and its all the way to the bottom. Neither switch does anything at all. So now I'm driving round with a window all the way down.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Default RE: Audi 80 - Front Passenger Electric Window Problem

that happend to my uncle's audi 80 too, wiring burned out. What we did is hot wire the window and we got it up. Then he whent to electirc and they fixed it up for him with new wiring and new switches.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

Thanks kakarot.

Sorry to be a pain, but what do you mean by "hot wiring" the window?

cheers

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Can you hear the window try to go up?
Listed for a "clump" sound when puching the window switch up, and down over, and over again, back, and forth.
Audi power windows can be a royal pain..especially in the colder months..
If it's trying to go up, keep trying to get the window up far enough to grab it, and help it on it's way up.
If you do get it up again, you may keep using the window, just don't lower it soo much that it can't be "assisted" again. Sometimes the window motor creats a dead spot in the internal electrical motor parts.

It's also very easy to swap switches with the passenger side (it's used less than the drivers side) I've had one break on me causing the window to not work, and it was the only way to get the window to work...this eliminates the switch as the problem..

If the window is trying to go up but is stuck, worst case scenario, you can pull the door card, and push the window up while using the switch. That should give it a boost on it's way up.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with my 100 passenger side front window.Lucky for me the motor still works well enough to get it up enough to grab it and help it out. For the time being I just avoid putting it down. Sounds like yours is buried down in the door there, so you'll have to remove the panel to push it back up the slot I think.

I've read though that sometimes the window motors get corroded or something and then stop working well or all together. I found a site somewhere where a guy pulled them off and apart and cleaned them and then they worked fine. I may try that here at some point when I have the time. If you end up having to pull the door panel off to get the window up anyway you might want to consider trying that while you're at it. Seems like a good option before buying a brand new window motor. I think they run around $150-$160.

But if you just want to get it up and forget about it (or at least try to get it up before it rains on you) try what Sepp said and get ahold of enough of the window to help it back up all the way. I don't think you can really hurt it anymore as long as you keep the switch pushed so its trying to go up. You'll just be helping it along its way. Then remember, it'll probably go back down easy enough because of gravity so be careful!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Well driving along yesterday and I noticed the window was up about 4 inches, whereas before it had been 100% down. I then pressed the drivers side sitch and it went back up! It seems I have some kind of intermittent problem, checked as much wiring as I could. Any ideas?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

I'll venture to speculate. It could be that the electric motor is going bad and is working erratically. Did it sound as if its straining when it did push the window up?

Here is a web page I referred to above where a guy did a pretty decent job of documenting the repair job he did on a '91 Audi 100. Maybe it will be helpful in troubleshooting the problem... http://quattro.rechlin.us/100/windows/

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks very much Kraysaw. That website looks great, I'll have a look into it this afternoon!