B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

S4 turbos on a 2.8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:06 PM
|
1st Gear
Default S4 turbos on a 2.8?

I was looking at some guy's S4 at autozone yesterday, and he mentioned that the engine was a 2.7 biturbo. I thought beforehand that the S4 had the same engine as the A4. So that led me to think, couldn't I get a pair of OEM turbos and install them and essentially have an S4? I know that the S4 has different suspension and a different tranny, but the important part of the S4 is the engine. So, is it worth it?

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:11 PM
Administrator

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:12 PM
|
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
dumb question?

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:31 PM
3rd Gear

not simple. not worth it

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:48 PM
Administrator

There's a lot more to it than turbos, suspension, and transmission. The 2.7 is a 2.7 because the cylinders have been sleeved to handle the extra HP produced by the turbos. The exhaust manifolds are obviously different because of the turbos, so you'd have to swap those out as well. Then you'd need to find some way to lubricate the turbos, so you'd have to fab up some oil lines. turbos need intercoolers, so you'd need a pair of SMIC's or a big FMIC. turbos push more air so you'd need more fuel, that means a set of bigger injectors and/or a different FPR. If you could manage to source all of that for anywhere close to what you paid for your car in the first place, you'd still need a tune to control the boost, plus all the necessary sensors and wiring. It would be far cheaper and less effort to just buy an S4 and be done with it.

Old 03-30-2011 | 03:35 PM
|
1st Gear

There's a lot more to it than turbos, suspension, and transmission. The 2.7 is a 2.7 because the cylinders have been sleeved to handle the extra HP produced by the turbos. The exhaust manifolds are obviously different because of the turbos, so you'd have to swap those out as well. Then you'd need to find some way to lubricate the turbos, so you'd have to fab up some oil lines. turbos need intercoolers, so you'd need a pair of SMIC's or a big FMIC. turbos push more air so you'd need more fuel, that means a set of bigger injectors and/or a different FPR. If you could manage to source all of that for anywhere close to what you paid for your car in the first place, you'd still need a tune to control the boost, plus all the necessary sensors and wiring. It would be far cheaper and less effort to just buy an S4 and be done with it.
That's why I asked this question

Old 03-30-2011 | 03:38 PM
1st Gear

LOL CCA4, I was laughing at the pic you posted!! :-D

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:59 PM
Administrator

The flame suit pic was because of the hundreds of times people have asked this question. It's one of the most common questions here, along with HID and blowout valve questions.

Old 03-31-2011 | 12:35 AM
Site Moderator

You forgot 4 bolt mains

Old 03-31-2011 | 02:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by auditech79
You forgot 4 bolt mains
lol thank you, i knew i left something out

Quick Reply: S4 turbos on a 2.8?