B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Has This Ever Happened To You???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Has This Ever Happened To You???

OK, so I was driving down the road and all of a sudden, everything electrical dies in the car and the engine dies a little but then goes back to normal, however, everything else in the car is completely dead... Horn, Lights, everything. I then get to a safe spot and turn the car off (stupid move, I know), and try to turn it back on, and nothing... nothing mechanical engages what so ever. some lights on the dash light up, and the radio works, but the horn still doesnt work. I checked all the fuses, the battery, the alternator, and all the connections to everything and they all seem to be in fine shape and the connections were all solid. So as it is now, my car basically seems dead... I just ordered a Vag Com, Software, and a Chiltons, but until they arrive, does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, or what I can do to find out? Thanks alot and I really appreciate any help at all that is given.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 AM
4th Gear

Bad battery/alternator. Get another or borrow a battery and hook it up and see what happens. Make sure the one you try out is charged. If it runs then your alternator died thus your battery died as well.

Josh

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

Those were among the first things I checked. The battery had plenty of juice, and the alternator had nothing wrong with it. Could it be possible that a main relay just blew out, or the ECU burned out or something? I am asking this because when I popped the hood after it wouldnt start, I smelled a burning plastic sort of smell. Are there any major electrical components that are prone to burning out or catching fire or just going bad that would effect my car to this degree?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

I had a starter relay go out in my old Ranger. If I hit a big enough bump, my truck would shut off, but everything would quit working. You might want to check the battery cables too. Maybe one of the cables got up so something hot, and melted the casing for it. That could short it out. Where you able to get it someplace so that they could check the alt? The alt would be my first guess.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

had the same thing happen to me but in a honda and it was the alternator. did try to jump your car? if it starts its eather the battery or the alternator

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I had an old bronco and the starter had a dead spot. Sometimes it wouldn't start and i'd have to get out and hit the starter with a wrench cause i couldn't afford to replace it. ahhhhh being a poor college kid lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Thank you all very much for your help so far, it is definitely appreciated. I dont see how it could be starter related since it happened while I was driving. I tested the battery, and it had plenty of juice, and I also tried jumping it to see what might happen, and nothing. I even tried starting it by popping the clutch while in first gear and rolling down a hill and had no luck there either. Could it be possible that a main relay blew, or even the whole ECU just burnt out? Thanks to you all again for everything so far.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear

Check the water box where the ECM is located under the windshield cowl for any visible issues (water, mice, melted plastic, etc.). Additionally, remove the battery terminal cables and look for corrosion.

Questions: Did you load-test the battery and alternator? If so, what were your results of both?