Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why I'm not a BMW Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear
Talking Why I'm not a BMW Owner

For awhile I drove a 2001 BMW 325i. It was alright, but it was overpriced, under powered and ..... it seems like every yupi idiot drives one.

It's like a status image to people, and then I realized I had bought a status image. So I dumped it. And bought an Audi.

I love my Audi, and this thread is pointless, it's just about my Audi love. And how much I hate that when some tool cuts me off, he's usually on his iphone driving his BMW 3 series.

Poo on BMW's.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM

well, I often had fun with Audi drivers in suits while I went by them in my orange/yellow Beemer 535, 1994. :-)

now, I have suit....

Old 01-06-2010, 04:41 PM

If you see a BMW 'round these parts, it usually means the driver hasn't a clue.

If you think about that for a minute, it makes perfect sense.

P.S. my sales guy used to sell Beemers...muahahaha

Last edited by Gordon Freeman Jr; 01-06-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dannyghost
now, I have suit....
Does that suit have a leather mask with zippers?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

I have an Audi and a BMW and a honda civic too. None are status symbols, they are tools that I hope are made well enough to last a long time as I don't lease cars and I don't sell them frequently. I get attached to them and hang on to them for a long time. For our most recent car, we bought a BMW instead of an Acura (what my wife was originally interested in because of their reliability reputation) because Acura's look dated quickly. My wife previously drove a 1990 Honda Accord and it just wouldn't die - we just gave it to Purple Heart for someone else to use! We could have afforded a newer and better car much sooner but we just aren't that excited about cars or status. Acura's have no permanent sense of style, a goto look, and that's what annoyed me about the Honda. Every 4 or 5 years your car looks ancient after the new ones come out. A BMW or Mercedes from a long time ago or a short time ago usually still looks cool and classic.

I'm in to airplanes. Purpose of a car is to get me to and from work and the airport. :-)

Last edited by luckymacy; 01-06-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: why not?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

mikekey, you're stereotyping BMW drivers and it's not right. I can say cheap and/or poor people drive Japanese or Korean cars, but I don't because I could offend someone who drives a Kia or Honda or Toyota and is rich and not cheap but just prefers a budget Benz wanna-be. I know some very cool BMW owners.

luckymacy, you're 100% correct about the styling of the German cars. It's timeless, really. All other makes go out of style so quickly that by the time you've paid for it, it's an eyesore.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
4th Gear

Sicky rims, bro.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
5th Gear

i know what you mean about status symbol. i'm asian and all the other asians are usually either ricers or beemer drivers. my cousins ask me why i didn't buy a beemer, i told them audis are better in several ways. i mean i like some beemers, very few but there are some that are uber clean from factory that i'd drive. all in all though, you can't beat the style of the B5. glad you made the switch, now start modding lol

Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 PM

it's all about personal preference. I like the rings better than the helicopter thing

Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear

In response to Esandes, I'm not stereotyping. The world promotes image and status. Maybe I just know a lot of posers.

Take rims for example, a lot of people like rims, but even more people are buying rims solely to impress others. It's the same reason I think most people have financial problems, they buy crap to impress others.

Look at Rims in the black community and tell me that's not about "HEY LOOK AT ME"

When I worked as a financial planner I would get guys rolling in all the time, doctors and lawyers, who drove Porcshe's and exotic cars, big houses, fancy watches, but on paper these guys where always a financial mess. Just broke at a higher level.

I dunno, maybe I just have an eyeball for fakes more because I've seen so many.

Quick Reply: Why I'm not a BMW Owner