Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 A4 1.8t Engine Vibration @ 2200 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Default 98 A4 1.8t Engine Vibration @ 2200 rpm

I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me. My local service station and the Audi dealer have not been able to resolve a vibration that has developed in my A4 beginnign at around 30k miles (48k now). The vibration can be felt through the gas pedal and the seats when cruising, or slowly accelerating through 2000-2600 rpm in 4th or 5th gear. The dealer used a cleaner to remove any carbon deposits that may have developed - no change. they also replaced the hose to the Turbo since that has caused vibration and a noise on some 96 and 97 A4 1.8t models - no change. The suspension and tires have been checked - no problem. Please please can someone tell me if they are aware what causes this vibration? No problem under heavy acceleration, or at low or high speeds.
Thanks
Sammac

Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 98 A4 1.8t Engine Vibration @ 2200 rpm

Welcome to the forum sammac!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.
================================================== ===========

It's a bit early to consider the timing belt, but I'd look into a tranny diagnosis - especially since you say it is only in 4th and 5th gear.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 98 A4 1.8t Engine Vibration @ 2200 rpm

There will be a test...

Mine started to do that a bit too. Mine is a 2000, but at exactly the same rpm and in the same gears. For me it was indicitive that my clutch was going and it went away as soon as I replaced it. 48k is early to have to replace a clutch, but since I had experienced the same thing, I thought I'd mention it.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you like it here.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM

I have a 2005 A4 1.8T FWD 5 speed also vibrating between 2200 and 2800 rpm.

The service manager and head mechanic drove it around and determined that I need a new transmission - and that while I am still under warantee, it will likely not be covered, as these transmissions never fail, so it must be from an outside influence.

I am hesitant to pay the diagnostic fee to remove and dissassemble the transmission only to have them find some wear, sell me a new transmission for $5000, then still have the problem, later finding it is a clutch, or a belt, or a CV joint.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:23 AM

I've been chasing this same vibration in my 1999 1.8 FWD 5 speed. It's gotten steadily worse since January, a little at a time, and I've replaced motor mounts, the flywheel/clutch, and other bits and pieces but still it vibrates. Going to try taking all the belts off and try that once, and remove the crank pulley and try that. Don't know what else it could be. The engine runs smooth and no noises or running problems, just a vibration/buzz that is worst between 2200 and 2800. No change when pushing in the clutch, which eliminates the transmission. And can be duplicated sitting still - this isn't a driveline/tire/axle issue.

I'll post what I find when I remove the front engine drives. Wish someone else could tell suggest some solution short of a motor replacement.
Dave

Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM

I've removed all belts, accessories, even the harmonic balancer. Vibration remained the same with everything removed, and with harmonic balancer off, the vibration was worse than with it. But the vibration was exactly the same rpm either way. And the vibration has grown worse over a month's driving. I wish someone knew what the problem was! I hate to change the motor and then find out it was something simple, but it appears to be internal engine issue.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Same problem - *** SOLVED ***

I would just like to tell you that my '98 Audi had the same problem. And it was fixed by my mechanic. Here's the problems I had:

1) Breather assembly - The plastic tubes had cracked and completely broken due to heat (bad quality assurance on the part of Audi). Replaced those

2) Power stage/Ignition starter - This is basically an electric/electronic part whose lines run from cylinder #3 to the turbo. Don't quite know the exact name of this part nor am I bothered to check it for it's part number (but I do recollect that it was a bosch and quite pricey - US$ 3xx). Replaced that and the engine runs smooth now.

Hope this helped.

Ram