Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to TCM wiring plug/socket pins

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Access to corroded TCM/TCU pins (Photos)

Hey Guys

Whilst i'm waiting for my new fuel pressure regulator, i have a lingering issue with my TCM. Basically is got wet due to a blocked AC drain and the TCM was replaced.

However i get a 'Supply Voltage Terminal 30' 'Open or Short to Ground' and it affects the shifting. Someone pointed out it could be the wiring in the socket that the TCM is connected too.

Name:  SideView.jpg
Views: 4769
Size:  35.6 KB

Sure enough i removed the access panel on the TCM socket and could see green corrosion gunk on some of the pins. However i can't remove the wiring/pins from the socket.

Name:  Corrosion.jpg
Views: 7380
Size:  47.3 KB

It looks as if the whole thing would have to come through the access hole, or maybe it comes out from the bottom, i really don't want to force it.

Name:  Section.jpg
Views: 3437
Size:  40.5 KB

Has anyone tried this? I can't get access to the wire pics without removing the pin housing.

Cheers

Last edited by porschefan; 10-13-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Added some photos if that helps

Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

OK, for future reference, i figured it out. Once you have removed the single screw on the back of the cover you have to remove the rubber seal you see in the bottom picture.

The pin block comes out in one piece and you can remove the surrounding housing.

Problem now is i can't remove the wire and pin (can't see where to press to release the pin) and i'm not sure where to get replacement pins from that are exactly the same.

Its actually going in the shop now as my running too rich problem was never resolved, i'll ask them if they know where to get pins.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for posting all of this.
I'm getting close to having time to look into my TCM as well.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Your picture is of the socket housing, as the male pin terminals are on the TCM. So, you need to go to an Audi parts department and order a socket repair kit to replace the corroded female socket terminals. Each new female terminal needs to have a short length of wire, as special crimping tools are rather expensive. You also need an extraction tool to remove the corroded socket terminals and an insertion tool to install the new socket terminals.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM
4th Gear

You can get extration/insertion tools at Radio Shack or online... Pull them, replace them, reinsert. Put on some connector lubricant/anti-corrosion/protectant before attaching.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Guys, at least i know what to call them now I contacted Audi US to see if i could find the part no, for the pins.

I didn't think it was something a local parts place would keep, but i will ask them too.

I have a Molex pin extraction tool but that's for my PC, i don't know what extraction tool to get until i know what type of sockets they are.

I'll see if my local Audi dealer has a kit, and i'll look through a Jameco catalog.

Thanks Guys

Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

I swapped ECU harnesses, basically the same as the TCM harness, I didn't have a special tool, but I found that with a terminal driver (itty bitty flat blade) I was able to punch the pins out backwards, I lined up the pin with the tip of the driver and gave it one crisp shot with the palm of my hand. They just popped out, I inspected them and repaired any minor bends before re-install, no issues to speak of so far

Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

I went to my local Audi dealership and they showed me the replacement sockets.

Basically they sell a wire about 12" with a female socket on each end ($15) i bought 5 but he only charged me $6 each because i had to wait a while for them to track them down.

When the female socket block is removed is actually splits into 2 halves horizontally allowing slightly easier access to the sockets. I noted one of the my wires had come completely loose due to the corrosion.

I tried multiple small screwdriver attempts to release the pins, but in the end it was some gentle persuasion and a spot of brute force to remove them. I only actually had 2 sockets that were corroded so i cut the wire into about 1" lenghts from each end. Soldered the original wire to the new socket wire and replaced.

Voila my TCM code has gone Next thing is to get the throttle body sorted and i should be back to normal.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
4th Gear

^^ Cool..

Quick Reply: Access to TCM wiring plug/socket pins