Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Maf cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear
Default Maf cleaning

for those of you that think your maf may be shot give this a try first. ok after you remove the maf and vanes. aka maf vane removal. you can see the electrical sensor inside of the maf. on the side were the screens were hold the maf housing so you can see the silver electrical sensor. its very small. you'll need some isopropanol spray or the pen style(that what i used) take the pen and press it into the silver sensor to clean it. let dry for a day or two before putting it back in. you should notice a difference. BTW the pen style isopropanol is available at radioshack or do it best hardware stores. the main reason for a bad maf seems to be oil caused by the wierd pvc system and/or over oiled intake filters. after cleaning mine, the silver sensor looked a lot better than before. hope this helps someone

Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Maf cleaning

To add to what MeanAudiA6 wrote, the best method to spray the isopropanol is to angle the MAF so that the liquid drips off of the MAF away from the electrical harness... Be VERY gentle with the platinum wire in there (don't touch it!)... Also, I don't know if that last post implies that you must de-vane your MAF in order to clean it using this method -- de-vaning is something that you do to the MAF housing, not the sensor. Torx screws hold the Audi's MAF to its port, by carefully unbolting them, you can remove the MAF for cleaning. I have not tried it myself, but when I clean my MAF I will blow some compressed air in there (not too much) to help with the drying process. While giving it a day or two seems conservative but smart, I'd probably feel ok giving it an overnight dry after the compressed air.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

Look at here of at here

Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

GREAT good stuff i suggest everyone buy a can

Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

Are you telling me, I could have just cleaned my MAF...and I most likely wouldn't have had to replace mine?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

yup. try cleaning it first

Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: bmwtoaudi

Are you telling me, I could have just cleaned my MAF...and I most likely wouldn't have had to replace mine?
Always try cleaning first, but sometimes they just fail and need to be replaced.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

My girlfriend took mine to the dealer for me (I work out of town) ...They called me saying I needed a new MAF at the time. I didn't know any better so I just paid the $280 to have it replaced.

Now the car doesn't have any check engine lights/codes...etc...and runs like a champ. I wasn't sure where the MAF was located etc.

I'm really wishing I could have had a chance to look at it. Anyways

I'm learning so much from this forum.

I've been reading online about all the moding we can do to this car...I think this spring when it warms up im going to have alot of fun updating/moding things.

Perfect car for tuning...

However I considering selling my 180 though. I got it for $9800. With the mods. On ebay cars with similar miles (79k) are going for around $13k with out mods. Im thinking I might be able to get between $13k/$15k for the car.

If I can get that...I could wait for awhile ...find a good deal on a 225hp ...then start moding that...

Hmmmmm

Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Usually cars without mods sell for more than those with...

225's a good idea! But the 180 can be plenty of fun, too :P

Old 11-02-2006, 09:31 PM
4th Gear

So you can buy the MAF Cleaner at any autoparts store (Autozone, Checker, Kragen, etc)?

Quick Reply: Maf cleaning